From: Roger Mills on
I've just acquired a new Skypephone S2 on the 3 Network - which provides
free calls to other Skype users. This is all well and good - except that I
haven't a clue how to find which of my potential contacts use Skype.

I have set up a Skype account on the phone, and have received a welcome
email pointing me at the Skype website. The Help info on the site suggests
that I should be able to log on to my account (using my PC), and then click
on a Directory tab to search for other users. But when I log on, there's no
Directory tab to be seen - only tabs for managing the account and buying
credits - which I don't wish to do.

I haven't actually downloaded and installed the Skype application on my PC
because I won't be using it for making Skype phone calls. Do I need to do so
in order to access the Directory? If not, how else do I do it?

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

From: Steve Terry on
"Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> I've just acquired a new Skypephone S2 on the 3 Network - which provides
> free calls to other Skype users. This is all well and good - except that I
> haven't a clue how to find which of my potential contacts use Skype.
>
> I have set up a Skype account on the phone, and have received a welcome
> email pointing me at the Skype website. The Help info on the site suggests
> that I should be able to log on to my account (using my PC), and then
> click on a Directory tab to search for other users. But when I log on,
> there's no Directory tab to be seen - only tabs for managing the account
> and buying credits - which I don't wish to do.
>
> I haven't actually downloaded and installed the Skype application on my PC
> because I won't be using it for making Skype phone calls. Do I need to do
> so in order to access the Directory? If not, how else do I do it?
>
> TIA.
> Cheers,
> Roger

does make editing and using your mobile Skype settings much easier

Steve Terry
--
Get a free Three 3pay Sim with �2 bonus after �10 top up
http://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276

From: Steve Terry on

From: CJB on
On Dec 29, 12:30 am, "Steve Terry" <gfour...(a)tesco.net> wrote:
> "Roger Mills" <watt.ty...(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > I've just acquired a new Skypephone S2 on the 3 Network - which provides
> > free calls to other Skype users. This is all well and good - except that I
> > haven't a clue how to find which of my potential contacts use Skype.
>
> > I have set up a Skype account on the phone, and have received a welcome
> > email pointing me at the Skype website. The Help info on the site suggests
> > that I should be able to log on to my account (using my PC), and then
> > click on a Directory tab to search for other users. But when I log on,
> > there's no Directory tab to be seen - only tabs for managing the account
> > and buying credits - which I don't wish to do.
>
> > I haven't actually downloaded and installed the Skype application on my PC
> > because I won't be using it for making Skype phone calls. Do I need to do
> > so in order to access the Directory? If not, how else do I do it?
>
> > TIA.
> > Cheers,
> > Roger

> does make editing and using your mobile Skype settings much easier
>
> Steve Terry
> --
> Get a free Three 3pay Sim with £2 bonus after £10 top uphttp://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276- Hide quoted text -

Agreed.

And you will find that once loaded Skype on your PC will keep being
refreshed as contacts come online or go offline. On the S2 you will
frequently find that your contacts seem to be offline or away (small
grey cross icon or orange icon); whereas on the PC they may well be
flagged as being online (small green tick icon). Apparently the S2
does not keep refreshing the list of contacts with each one's
availability status.

Irritatingly if a contact on the S2 is flagged as offline (or away)
then it refuses to connect to it, even if on the PC that same contact
is flagged as being online.

The only way I've found of refreshing the status of the contacts on
the S2 is to turn the phone off and then on again so as to have to re-
sign into Skype. This makes using Skype on the S2 an irritation rather
than being really user-friendly. So much for being a smart phone - so
smart it has to be switched off and then on again to update the list
of Skype contacts!!

And don't expect to connect to an online contact every time.
Frequently Skype connections fail. Sound quality can range from good
to appallingly bad. Best to get used to the quality on your PC first.

And your contacts will not be able to intitate a call to your S2
either. You'll have to call them - every time.

The S2 is cheap and unreliable rubbish - as is '3's services in
general. Skype is good on a PC, but on a mobile phone - don't expect
miracles ...

CJB.
From: Roger Mills on
CJB <chrisjbrady(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 12:30 am, "Steve Terry" <gfour...(a)tesco.net> wrote:
>> "Roger Mills" <watt.ty...(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

>>> I've just acquired a new Skypephone S2 on the 3 Network - which
>>> provides free calls to other Skype users. This is all well and good
>>> - except that I haven't a clue how to find which of my potential
>>> contacts use Skype.
>>
>>> I have set up a Skype account on the phone, and have received a
>>> welcome email pointing me at the Skype website. The Help info on
>>> the site suggests that I should be able to log on to my account
>>> (using my PC), and then click on a Directory tab to search for
>>> other users. But when I log on, there's no Directory tab to be seen
>>> - only tabs for managing the account and buying credits - which I
>>> don't wish to do.
>>
>>> I haven't actually downloaded and installed the Skype application
>>> on my PC because I won't be using it for making Skype phone calls.
>>> Do I need to do so in order to access the Directory? If not, how
>>> else do I do it?
>>
>>> TIA.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Roger

>> does make editing and using your mobile Skype settings much easier
>>
>> Steve Terry
>> --
>> Get a free Three 3pay Sim with �2 bonus after �10 top
>> uphttp://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276- Hide quoted text
>> -

> Agreed.
>
> And you will find that once loaded Skype on your PC will keep being
> refreshed as contacts come online or go offline. On the S2 you will
> frequently find that your contacts seem to be offline or away (small
> grey cross icon or orange icon); whereas on the PC they may well be
> flagged as being online (small green tick icon). Apparently the S2
> does not keep refreshing the list of contacts with each one's
> availability status.
>
> Irritatingly if a contact on the S2 is flagged as offline (or away)
> then it refuses to connect to it, even if on the PC that same contact
> is flagged as being online.
>
> The only way I've found of refreshing the status of the contacts on
> the S2 is to turn the phone off and then on again so as to have to re-
> sign into Skype. This makes using Skype on the S2 an irritation rather
> than being really user-friendly. So much for being a smart phone - so
> smart it has to be switched off and then on again to update the list
> of Skype contacts!!
>
> And don't expect to connect to an online contact every time.
> Frequently Skype connections fail. Sound quality can range from good
> to appallingly bad. Best to get used to the quality on your PC first.
>
> And your contacts will not be able to intitate a call to your S2
> either. You'll have to call them - every time.
>
> The S2 is cheap and unreliable rubbish - as is '3's services in
> general. Skype is good on a PC, but on a mobile phone - don't expect
> miracles ...
>
> CJB.

Thank you - Steve and CJB - for your comments.

But neither of you has answered my basic question!

Although I have lots of contacts whose email address and/or phone numbers I
know, I don't currently have *any* Skype contacts per se. How the hell do I
find out which - if any - of my general contacts are Skype users, and what
their Skype IDs are - other than by asking them individually?
--
Cheers,
Roger