From: Rod Speed on
Marts wrote:

> In today's paper...

> http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/barriers-to-skype-on-mobiles-evaporate-20100218-oiof.html

> How can there be savings from using Skype Out when calling domestically?

Depends on what you pay for domestic calls.

> Skype charges for its calls and then there is the data usage on top of that,

Doesnt necessarily mean that you actually pay for the data usage, most obviously
with capped plans where what you pay may well not change with a particular call.

> particularly if you lash out on video calls.

Or you can have enough of a clue to not use video calls.

> Mind you, I'm not familiar with the data usage of Skype, particularly
> on a mobile platform. Say you're on a $40 a month plan with Telstra.
> You can make about 35 mins. worth of calls on average before the $40
> allowance is used up. To compare, how much data would you use to
> make a VOIP call

Its comparable.

> and how far would a $40 a month spend on data take you?

Varys with the plan. Pennytel voip over mobile does work out better than mobile calls.

> And then there are capped plans. if you have one of
> these cap plans, would there be any benefit to VOIP?

Depends on how often you get close to using your cap etc.

Pages: 1
Prev: Getting TOR to work
Next: Uwhois.com