From: Ian on
Wee cheap Logitech Quickcam Express. Ubuntu 9.10.

Cheese works fine, using device /dev/video0. Skype offers only that
video device, doesn't use it, doesn't do anything when I press the
"Test" button in Options->Video Devices. Any bright ideas? Google
tells me the camera works out of the box ... and it does, but not for
Skype!

Ian
From: Chris Davies on
Ian <ian.groups(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> Cheese works fine, using device /dev/video0. Skype offers only that
> video device, doesn't use it, doesn't do anything when I press the
> "Test" button in Options->Video Devices. [...]

Sounds to me like a V4L1 - V4L2 issue. I find I always need to start
Skype with the V4L1 compatibility layer. Here's a cut down version of
the script I use:

#!/bin/bash
# Call this "skype" and put it in your PATH ahead of the real thing
#
LIBV4L1COMPAT=`
ls -t /usr/{local/,}lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so 2>/dev/null |
head -1
`
test -f "$LIBV4L1COMPAT" && export LD_PRELOAD="$LIBV4L1COMPAT"
exec /usr/bin/skype "$@"

You ought first to check that you actually have a v4l1compat.so in
/usr/lib/libv4l or /usr/local/lib/libv4l, as otherwise this script can't
help you.

Chris