From: Noob on
Anonymous wrote:

> I hope someone in this NG will take a look at the Skype encryption
> because I have my doubts about it.

Sorry to disappoint, but Skype only intends to open source the GUI.

http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/2009/11/skype_open_source.html

"""
Yes, there's an open source version of Linux client being developed.
This will be a part of larger offering, but we can't tell you much more
about that right now. Having an open source UI will help us get adopted
in the "multicultural" land of Linux distributions, as well as on other
platforms and will speed up further development. We will update you once
more details are available.
"""
From: Noob on
Tom St Denis wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:
>
>> I hope someone in this NG will take a look at the Skype encryption
>> because I have my doubts about it.
>
> Nothing you say is of any value to any government.

Right. And cryptography is pointless, because honest, decent,
hard-working people have nothing to hide anyway!

/me rolls eyes

How could you possibly know what is and what is not of value to the
hundreds of governmental entities of the world?

> I'd be more worried about corporate interests peeking into your
> privacy if anything else.

Yes. Internet Service Providers performing Deep Packet Inspection is a
very real threat to privacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorm
http://epic.org/privacy/dpi/
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/05/deep-packet-inspection-under-assault-from-canadian-critics.ars
From: Tom St Denis on
On Nov 4, 4:52 am, Noob <r...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Tom St Denis wrote:
> > Anonymous wrote:
>
> >> I hope someone in this NG will take a look at the Skype encryption
> >> because I have my doubts about it.
>
> > Nothing you say is of any value to any government.
>
> Right. And cryptography is pointless, because honest, decent,
> hard-working people have nothing to hide anyway!
>
> /me rolls eyes
>
> How could you possibly know what is and what is not of value to the
> hundreds of governmental entities of the world?

I never said crypto is pointless.

Just in the grand scheme of things I'm more worried about some person
on the net sniffing out my CC [for example] than I am of the
government reading my emails or tapping my phone.

So long as I pay my taxes I'm sure the Canadian government is
perfectly happy to let me be a statistic.

Tom
From: Paul Rubin on
Tom St Denis <tom(a)iahu.ca> writes:
> Reality is you have to [usually] be a prick for the government to care
> about you. Now not all countries are the same, but In North America
> at least short of being a criminal they're not going to care about you.

Why do you think they have to care about you in order to intercept
your traffic? They have enough monitoring capability and storage
capacity to intercept everybody, whether or not they care about them.
From: Tom St Denis on
On Nov 4, 7:33 pm, Paul Rubin <http://phr...(a)NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> writes:
>
> > Reality is you have to [usually] be a prick for the government to care
> > about you.  Now not all countries are the same, but In North America
> > at least short of being a criminal they're not going to care about you.
>
> Why do you think they have to care about you in order to intercept
> your traffic?  They have enough monitoring capability and storage
> capacity to intercept everybody, whether or not they care about them.

I never said they don't tap it, I'm saying it's of little to no
consequence.

Put it another way, I'm more afraid of my neighbour using my secrets
against me [like my banking info] than my government, who has all my
info anyways, from using it against me.

I'm not stupid, I realize there are places on earth where human rights
are not honoured. But in Canada and the States, as dramatic as people
like to be, the government really isn't out to get them. So in the
context I'd be more afraid of Skype tracking who you call and when,
then selling that to marketers or other random companies to then use
to target advertisements better and otherwise annoy people.

Tom