From: Paul Rubin on
Tom St Denis <tom(a)iahu.ca> writes:
> "the preservation and prolongation of quality of life for adults in
> Canada"
>
> Then we're best spending our money on gyms then overhyped flu
> vaccines. More Canadians will die this year alone of heart failure
> than of the flu over the last decade.

Flu is pretty nasty even if you don't die from it. A widespread
epidemic will cause a heck of a lot of misery and disruption
independently of the number of fatalities.
From: Tom St Denis on
On Nov 5, 1:21 pm, Paul Rubin <http://phr...(a)NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> writes:
>
> > "the preservation and prolongation of quality of life for adults in
> > Canada"
>
> > Then we're best spending our money on gyms then overhyped flu
> > vaccines.  More Canadians will die this year alone of heart failure
> > than of the flu over the last decade.
>
> Flu is pretty nasty even if you don't die from it.  A widespread
> epidemic will cause a heck of a lot of misery and disruption
> independently of the number of fatalities.

And apparently death and out-of-shape people is a-ok?

Think about this, how many slow or ineffective or sick days are a
direct result of poor diet and lack of exercise? I'd say there are
more hours of productivity lost due to people getting any other
illness [bacterial infection], or being tired and low on energy
through eating poorly, not exercising, smoking ,etc. Flu takes you
out of commission for a few days, being a slob takes longer.

Tom
From: Paul Rubin on
Tom St Denis <tom(a)iahu.ca> writes:
> Think about this, how many slow or ineffective or sick days are a
> direct result of poor diet and lack of exercise? I'd say there are
> more hours of productivity lost due to people getting any other
> illness [bacterial infection], or being tired and low on energy
> through eating poorly, not exercising, smoking ,etc. Flu takes you
> out of commission for a few days, being a slob takes longer.

I think the main issue (besides fatalities) with H1N1 is not the
personal unpleasantness if you become ill, but the massive disruption
resulting from everyone in a region being ill at the same time. Think
of just about all business and transportation shutting down, etc.
Even the communications systems (phones, internet) may not be able to
operate.

Also, flu is really much more intensely miserable and dangerous than
the typical cold, if that's what you're thinking. If you catch a
cold, you spend a day or two at home feeling lousy and blowing your
nose a lot. Flu (the couple of times I've had it) involves almost
nonstop vomiting, diarrhea, fever, etc. A lot of people will require
medical attention that may be quite hard to come by due to overload
and transportation problems.