From: Noob on
Noob wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:
>
>> I hope someone in this NG will take a look at the Skype encryption
>> because I have my doubts about it.
>
> Sorry to disappoint, but Skype only intends to open source the GUI.
>
> http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/2009/11/skype_open_source.html
>
> """
> Yes, there's an open source version of Linux client being developed.
> This will be a part of larger offering, but we can't tell you much more
> about that right now. Having an open source UI will help us get adopted
> in the "multicultural" land of Linux distributions, as well as on other
> platforms and will speed up further development. We will update you once
> more details are available.
> """

cf. also the LWN discussion
http://lwn.net/Articles/359925/
From: Thomas Pornin on
According to Tom St Denis <tom(a)iahu.ca>:
> My point though is more people will be murdered in Canada in 2009 than
> will die of the flu, any flu.

Note though that this quite depends on the location. Flu rates go higher
in big towns (more contagion) but murder rates also, and much more so.
For instance, in Montreal (about 3.5 million people, including
surrounding towns), there are about 100 murders per year. In Qu�bec (the
city, about 700 thousands people with the surrounding towns), that's
close to 1 (one) murder per year: the ratio with regards to population
is 20 times lower ! So that in Qu�bec, flu (any flu) will kill many more
people than murder.

Of course, fast food and car driving claim an awful lot more lives
than any flu. But media-powered fears are not rational, and have never
been. This is not a very novel discovery.

--Thomas Pornin
From: Tom St Denis on
On Nov 5, 8:29 am, Thomas Pornin <por...(a)bolet.org> wrote:
> According to Tom St Denis  <t...(a)iahu.ca>:
>
> > My point though is more people will be murdered in Canada in 2009 than
> > will die of the flu, any flu.
>
> Note though that this quite depends on the location. Flu rates go higher
> in big towns (more contagion) but murder rates also, and much more so.
> For instance, in Montreal (about 3.5 million people, including
> surrounding towns), there are about 100 murders per year. In Québec (the
> city, about 700 thousands people with the surrounding towns), that's
> close to 1 (one) murder per year: the ratio with regards to population
> is 20 times lower ! So that in Québec, flu (any flu) will kill many more
> people than murder.

The thing about the numbers that others posted is my stats are based
on people in the bracket 18-65. Of course flus [well typical flus]
kill people in young/old categories. But supposing you survive to
adulthood and are less than 65, then I'd fear more tangible things
than the flu.

> Of course, fast food and car driving claim an awful lot more lives
> than any flu. But media-powered fears are not rational, and have never
> been. This is not a very novel discovery.

My point was to show the similarities where uneducated and otherwise
ignorant people draw conclusions of what they should worry about and
more often than naught they're wrong.

I'd still be for the Canadian government handing out gym
memberships ... :-) Those places are beaucoup expensive.

Tom
From: Unruh on
Tom St Denis <tom(a)iahu.ca> writes:

>On Nov 5, 8:29=A0am, Thomas Pornin <por...(a)bolet.org> wrote:
>> According to Tom St Denis =A0<t...(a)iahu.ca>:
>>
>> > My point though is more people will be murdered in Canada in 2009 than
>> > will die of the flu, any flu.
>>
>> Note though that this quite depends on the location. Flu rates go higher
>> in big towns (more contagion) but murder rates also, and much more so.
>> For instance, in Montreal (about 3.5 million people, including
>> surrounding towns), there are about 100 murders per year. In Qu=E9bec (th=
>> city, about 700 thousands people with the surrounding towns), that's
>> close to 1 (one) murder per year: the ratio with regards to population
>> is 20 times lower ! So that in Qu=E9bec, flu (any flu) will kill many mor=
>> people than murder.

>The thing about the numbers that others posted is my stats are based
>on people in the bracket 18-65. Of course flus [well typical flus]
>kill people in young/old categories. But supposing you survive to
>adulthood and are less than 65, then I'd fear more tangible things
>than the flu.

And the thing about H1N1 is that it is not a typical flu. It kills across all
ages. In fact old people are less likely to die from it because they have some
resistance. If it were a typical flu there would not be the hype about it.

>> Of course, fast food and car driving claim an awful lot more lives
>> than any flu. But media-powered fears are not rational, and have never
>> been. This is not a very novel discovery.

>My point was to show the similarities where uneducated and otherwise
>ignorant people draw conclusions of what they should worry about and
>more often than naught they're wrong.

I agree with that. Just that you have chosen a bad example.
Note also that murder hits certain segments of the population far harder than
others. (In Vancouver these days, and I believe in Montreal, gang membership
drives up the probability hugely).
Flu lineup patrons are pretty low in the murder probability list.

>I'd still be for the Canadian government handing out gym
>memberships ... :-) Those places are beaucoup expensive.

$45/month at my local community centre? That's expensive?

From: Tom St Denis on
On Nov 5, 11:53 am, Unruh <unruh-s...(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> And the thing about H1N1 is that it is not a typical flu. It kills across all
> ages. In fact old people are less likely to die from it because they have some
> resistance. If it were a typical flu there would not be the hype about it..

Well I've still not seen really widespread deaths from people that
weren't likely to die of the normal flu. Most of them so far have
been "Marie died yesterday of H1N1, she ... blah blah, fine print at
end of article, was suffering from COPD, pneumonia and a bullet wound
to her left side of her head...." There's almost always a pre-
existing condition it seems.

The one case I know of a teen dying he played a weekend of hockey
while sick.

I'm sure if I ran out and played 2 games while suffering from
pneumonia I'd probably keel over too...

> I agree with that. Just that you have chosen a bad example.
> Note also that murder hits certain segments of the population far harder than
> others. (In Vancouver these days, and I believe in Montreal, gang membership
> drives up the probability hugely).
> Flu lineup patrons are pretty low in the murder probability list.

Perhaps, but I'd still rather a murder vaccine than an H1N1 one.

> >I'd still be for the Canadian government handing out gym
> >memberships ... :-)  Those places are beaucoup expensive.
>
> $45/month at my local community centre? That's expensive?

Well balancing that against my daily $4 coffee, and $12 meal at BK for
supper ... it's expensive :-) My point [which doesn't seem to be
getting through] is that if the goal is

"the preservation and prolongation of quality of life for adults in
Canada"

Then we're best spending our money on gyms then overhyped flu
vaccines. More Canadians will die this year alone of heart failure
than of the flu over the last decade.

Tom