From: isuy on
I have installed Slack-13.1 on a SATA drive ( /dev/sda ) and Windows on
IDE drive ( Slack-13.1 detects this ide drive as /dev/sdb instead of
/dev/hdb).

I have installed lilo on /dev/sda and added these lines in lilo.conf:

other = /dev/sdb1
label = Windows
table = /dev/sdb

It boots Linux fine, but when I try to boot Windows, all I get is

Need some help here please.

Thank you in advance.

From: Henrik Carlqvist on
isuy <isuy(a)socal.rr.com> wrote:
> I have installed lilo on /dev/sda and added these lines in lilo.conf:
>
> other = /dev/sdb1
> label = Windows
> table = /dev/sdb
>
> It boots Linux fine, but when I try to boot Windows, all I get is

Are you able to boot that disk without LILO if you disconnect the SATA
drive? If not I would first start to try to fix your Windows installation.
Once you know that you have a working bootablw Windows installation the
next step would be to read the man page of lilo.conf and play around with
options like bios, map-drive, master-boot and boot-as.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: Grant on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 08:06:00 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist(a)deadspam.com> wrote:

>isuy <isuy(a)socal.rr.com> wrote:
>> I have installed lilo on /dev/sda and added these lines in lilo.conf:
>>
>> other = /dev/sdb1
>> label = Windows
>> table = /dev/sdb
>>
>> It boots Linux fine, but when I try to boot Windows, all I get is
>
>Are you able to boot that disk without LILO if you disconnect the SATA
>drive? If not I would first start to try to fix your Windows installation.
>Once you know that you have a working bootablw Windows installation the
>next step would be to read the man page of lilo.conf and play around with
>options like bios, map-drive, master-boot and boot-as.

Shouldn't need any of those old lilo options these days.

Something is wrong with the windows setup; that lilo stanza correctly
passes control to the windows loader, any issues after that are not
due to lilo as far as I can tell. Every windows box I build for over
a decade is dual boot with Linux, last six years with Slackware, only
with lilo here as it just works...

Of course, I may be wrong. :o)

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: stuart on
Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
> isuy <isuy(a)socal.rr.com> wrote:
>> I have installed lilo on /dev/sda and added these lines in lilo.conf:
>>
>> other = /dev/sdb1
>> label = Windows
>> table = /dev/sdb
>>
>> It boots Linux fine, but when I try to boot Windows, all I get is
>
> Are you able to boot that disk without LILO if you disconnect the SATA
> drive? If not I would first start to try to fix your Windows installation.
> Once you know that you have a working bootablw Windows installation the
> next step would be to read the man page of lilo.conf and play around with
> options like bios, map-drive, master-boot and boot-as.
>
> regards Henrik

I may be a little rusty, but I suspect you've got Windows on a drive it
won't like.

AFAIK Windows likes to be on the primary hdd. You've got it on sbd1 and
I think it should be on sda1

As I say, I'm a little rusty so may have this wrong, but what Windows
calls Drive C: is the first hdd and it will only work from that one.

Stuart
From: jim dorey on
stuart wrote:
> I may be a little rusty, but I suspect you've got Windows on a drive it
> won't like.
>
> AFAIK Windows likes to be on the primary hdd. You've got it on sbd1 and
> I think it should be on sda1
>
> As I say, I'm a little rusty so may have this wrong, but what Windows
> calls Drive C: is the first hdd and it will only work from that one.
>
> Stuart

yah, windows on sata is problematic, i dunno if any version supports
booting from sata natively yet. anyways, i have an sata, with it set as
primary boot device, lilo in the superblock instead of the mbr, windows
on ide, second in the list, all kinds of wrong stuff(just got up, not
gonna poop here when i gotta...). i use ntldr, nowhere near as pretty
as the lilo boot screen, which ain't that much to look at in the first
place, but as long as windows gets to use its own choice of boot loader,
and has the sata drivers installed at system install time, no big.

it may have been possible to install to ide and ghost over to sata...
considering how much fun i found streamlining the install disk(didn't
bother with that hell), it seems a better option.