From: Michael Black on
So we missed out on the Slackware Fun and Games this time.

Today, Thursday May 6th has a changelog entry announcing
a move to KDE 4.4.3 and that it will be called Slackware 13.1
with "A stable release should be just around the corner...".

Nows the time to try to break it.

At the beginning of June, 2001, I bought a 200MHz Pentium used
for $150 so I could run Linux and specifically Slackware. I was
thinking about maybe I should buy a "new" computer, something more
recent (I was given a 1GHz Pentium at the end of 2003) yet by now
at a price I'm willing to spend. Finding an LCD monitor on the weekend
waiting for the garbage truck (students moving out) seemed to be a
good indicator that I should. So if I hurry, I'll have a "new"
computer in time for the new Slackware release, I could even
install a new release within a few days of its release.

Given today's announcement, I will not install Slackware 13.0, which
I never got around to, in an attempt to hurry the process along.

Michael

From: John K. Herreshoff on
Michael Black wrote:

> So we missed out on the Slackware Fun and Games this time.
>
> Today, Thursday May 6th has a changelog entry announcing
> a move to KDE 4.4.3 and that it will be called Slackware 13.1
> with "A stable release should be just around the corner...".
>
> Nows the time to try to break it.
>
> At the beginning of June, 2001, I bought a 200MHz Pentium used
> for $150 so I could run Linux and specifically Slackware. I was
> thinking about maybe I should buy a "new" computer, something more
> recent (I was given a 1GHz Pentium at the end of 2003) yet by now
> at a price I'm willing to spend. Finding an LCD monitor on the weekend
> waiting for the garbage truck (students moving out) seemed to be a
> good indicator that I should. So if I hurry, I'll have a "new"
> computer in time for the new Slackware release, I could even
> install a new release within a few days of its release.
>
> Given today's announcement, I will not install Slackware 13.0, which
> I never got around to, in an attempt to hurry the process along.
>
> Michael

Go easy on it, Michael, as the KDE that comes with it is loaded with bumps
and lumps that will irritate you. There have been handy interchanges here
that will help you get it going better than it comes out of the box.

I finally loaded 13.0 on one box, ditched the KDE that came with it, and
build 4.3.4 which barely met my needs. I was about to go to a KDE 4.4
version, but since slackware will do it for me, I'll wait around and see
how it goes.

Part of the KDE irritation comes from the major jump from the familiar (3.x
series) to the new (4.x), with fixes not being easy to spot when
frustrated.

John.
--
Using the Laptop at home.
From: Dan C on
On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:47:46 -0400, John K. Herreshoff wrote:

> Michael Black wrote:
>
>> So we missed out on the Slackware Fun and Games this time.
>>
>> Today, Thursday May 6th has a changelog entry announcing a move to KDE
>> 4.4.3 and that it will be called Slackware 13.1 with "A stable release
>> should be just around the corner...".
>>
>> Nows the time to try to break it.
>>
>> At the beginning of June, 2001, I bought a 200MHz Pentium used for $150
>> so I could run Linux and specifically Slackware. I was thinking about
>> maybe I should buy a "new" computer, something more recent (I was given
>> a 1GHz Pentium at the end of 2003) yet by now at a price I'm willing to
>> spend. Finding an LCD monitor on the weekend waiting for the garbage
>> truck (students moving out) seemed to be a good indicator that I
>> should. So if I hurry, I'll have a "new" computer in time for the new
>> Slackware release, I could even install a new release within a few days
>> of its release.
>>
>> Given today's announcement, I will not install Slackware 13.0, which I
>> never got around to, in an attempt to hurry the process along.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Go easy on it, Michael, as the KDE that comes with it is loaded with
> bumps and lumps that will irritate you. There have been handy
> interchanges here that will help you get it going better than it comes
> out of the box.
>
> I finally loaded 13.0 on one box, ditched the KDE that came with it, and
> build 4.3.4 which barely met my needs. I was about to go to a KDE 4.4
> version, but since slackware will do it for me, I'll wait around and see
> how it goes.
>
> Part of the KDE irritation comes from the major jump from the familiar
> (3.x series) to the new (4.x), with fixes not being easy to spot when
> frustrated.

YARTUX.

(Yet Another Reason To Use Xfce)

:)

"Bother!" said Pooh, as the antimatter containment vessel ruptured.
From: Loki Harfagr on
Fri, 07 May 2010 15:43:37 +0000, Dan C did cat :

> On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:47:46 -0400, John K. Herreshoff wrote:
>
>> Michael Black wrote:
>>
>>> So we missed out on the Slackware Fun and Games this time.
>>>
>>> Today, Thursday May 6th has a changelog entry announcing a move to KDE
>>> 4.4.3 and that it will be called Slackware 13.1 with "A stable release
>>> should be just around the corner...".
>>>
>>> Nows the time to try to break it.
>>>
>>> At the beginning of June, 2001, I bought a 200MHz Pentium used for
>>> $150 so I could run Linux and specifically Slackware. I was thinking
>>> about maybe I should buy a "new" computer, something more recent (I
>>> was given a 1GHz Pentium at the end of 2003) yet by now at a price I'm
>>> willing to spend. Finding an LCD monitor on the weekend waiting for
>>> the garbage truck (students moving out) seemed to be a good indicator
>>> that I should. So if I hurry, I'll have a "new" computer in time for
>>> the new Slackware release, I could even install a new release within a
>>> few days of its release.
>>>
>>> Given today's announcement, I will not install Slackware 13.0, which I
>>> never got around to, in an attempt to hurry the process along.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>
>> Go easy on it, Michael, as the KDE that comes with it is loaded with
>> bumps and lumps that will irritate you. There have been handy
>> interchanges here that will help you get it going better than it comes
>> out of the box.
>>
>> I finally loaded 13.0 on one box, ditched the KDE that came with it,
>> and build 4.3.4 which barely met my needs. I was about to go to a KDE
>> 4.4 version, but since slackware will do it for me, I'll wait around
>> and see how it goes.
>>
>> Part of the KDE irritation comes from the major jump from the familiar
>> (3.x series) to the new (4.x), with fixes not being easy to spot when
>> frustrated.
>
> YARTUX.
>
> (Yet Another Reason To Use Xfce)
>
> :)

TURFWAR

(These Users Run Fluxbox, We Are Right ;-)
From: Richard Herbert on
On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:47:46 -0400, John K. Herreshoff wrote:

> Part of the KDE irritation comes from the major jump from the familiar
> (3.x series) to the new (4.x), with fixes not being easy to spot when
> frustrated.

Bring on Slackware 13.1 and whatever version of KDE Patrick wishes to
include. I had very few problems transitioning from KDE 3.5 to 4.24, and
I look forward to making the new version of KDE conform to my
requirements. That is, based on others' experiences and their application
to my circumstance ;-)

--
Richard Herbert
Registered Linux user 14329