From: Lew Pitcher on
Working under Slackware 12.2, I need to be able to "upgradepkg --dry-run"
against the Slackware 13.0 distribution packages. But, since Slackware 13.0
uses the new TXZ format, the Slackware 12.2 pkgtools
(pkgtools-12.1.0-noarch-7) doesn't recognize the upgraded packages, and
reports all TXZ packages as "will not upgrade".

Can I just upgradepkg the Slackware 12.2 pkgtools with the Slackware 13.0
version, or do I have to upgrade/install other packages as well?
--
Lew Pitcher

From: Douglas Mayne on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:59:31 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

> Working under Slackware 12.2, I need to be able to "upgradepkg
> --dry-run" against the Slackware 13.0 distribution packages. But, since
> Slackware 13.0 uses the new TXZ format, the Slackware 12.2 pkgtools
> (pkgtools-12.1.0-noarch-7) doesn't recognize the upgraded packages, and
> reports all TXZ packages as "will not upgrade".
>
> Can I just upgradepkg the Slackware 12.2 pkgtools with the Slackware
> 13.0 version, or do I have to upgrade/install other packages as well?

I think you'd be ahead to at least upgrade the packages listed in the
file:
<mirror>://slackware/slackware-13.0/UPGRADE.TXT

1. Upgrade your package utilities and related tools:

upgradepkg /root/slackware/a/pkgtools-*.tgz
upgradepkg /root/slackware/a/tar-*.tgz
installpkg /root/slackware/a/xz-*.tgz
upgradepkg /root/slackware/a/findutils-*.txz

I think you should be ok to continue using 12.2, or proceed to upgrade.

BTW, if all you want to do is upgrade a package that is saved as txz,
then you only need to install the xz package. With that tool, you can
convert back to tgz using some command string similar to this:

PKG=mozilla-firefox-3.6.3-i686-1
cat ${PKG}.txz | xz -cd | gzip >${PKG}.tgz
upgradepkg ${PKG}.tgz

--
Douglas Mayne
From: Lew Pitcher on
On June 21, 2010 18:36, in alt.os.linux.slackware, doug(a)localhost.localnet
wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:59:31 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:
>
>> Working under Slackware 12.2, I need to be able to "upgradepkg
>> --dry-run" against the Slackware 13.0 distribution packages. But, since
>> Slackware 13.0 uses the new TXZ format, the Slackware 12.2 pkgtools
>> (pkgtools-12.1.0-noarch-7) doesn't recognize the upgraded packages, and
>> reports all TXZ packages as "will not upgrade".
>>
>> Can I just upgradepkg the Slackware 12.2 pkgtools with the Slackware
>> 13.0 version, or do I have to upgrade/install other packages as well?
>>
> I think you'd be ahead to at least upgrade the packages listed in the
> file:
> <mirror>://slackware/slackware-13.0/UPGRADE.TXT
>
> 1. Upgrade your package utilities and related tools:
>
> upgradepkg /root/slackware/a/pkgtools-*.tgz
> upgradepkg /root/slackware/a/tar-*.tgz
> installpkg /root/slackware/a/xz-*.tgz
> upgradepkg /root/slackware/a/findutils-*.txz
>
> I think you should be ok to continue using 12.2, or proceed to upgrade.
>
> BTW, if all you want to do is upgrade a package that is saved as txz,
> then you only need to install the xz package.
[snip]

Thanks. That's what I thought.

I'm in the longish process of upgrading my desktop system from Slackware 12
to Slackware 13 (I started a couple of weeks ago at Slackware 12.0, and as
of today run Slackware 12.2), and I use a home-grown "management report" to
evaluate the requirements of each upgrade.

The process that builds the "management report" performs
an "upgradepkg --dry-run" on each package in the new release, matches
upgraded and non-upgraded packages to the currently installed packages, and
generates a report showing which currently-installed packages will upgrade,
which are already at the target level (i.e. "upgradepkg --reinstall" would
work), and which will not upgrade at all. It also reports which new
packages will not be installed through an "upgradepkg" run.

From that list, I can determine which new packages to install, which to
upgrade, and which to leave alone. I can also determine which old packages
to abandon, and which are replaced by new packages.

A second script takes all these decisions and builds a set of upgrade
scripts for me that remove any locally installed packages that should be
dropped, install the required new packages (such as pkgtool), install all
the remaining packages from the new install, remove any abandoned Slackware
packages (packages that no longer have an upgrade path), and finally apply
all outstanding patches.

With all that, I have a very clear understanding of what my system will look
like when the install is complete, and a tight-grained control over the
upgrade.

But, it all depends on the current pkgtool understanding the new packages.
And, for Slackware 13.0 and above, that means I have to
handle "upgradepkg --dry-run" using /at least/ the Slackware 13.0 pkgtools.

And so it goes...

Thanks again.
--
Lew Pitcher

From: Eef Hartman on
Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:
> But, it all depends on the current pkgtool understanding the new packages.
> And, for Slackware 13.0 and above, that means I have to
> handle "upgradepkg --dry-run" using /at least/ the Slackware 13.0 pkgtools.

And the 13.0 xz-*.tgz package itself, of course... (for the upgrades,
probably even for the dry-run, although I do not know if that one
looks INTO the packages itself).
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: realto margarino on
On Jun 21, 4:59 pm, Lew Pitcher <lpitc...(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:

Brampton's lew pitcher, late of TDBank, is a domain thief.

For further info, check out: http://lewpitcher.ca

Or simply type "lew pitcher" into the google search engine.