From: Mike Jones on

Does the "timeout" binary come with Slackware 12.2?

I seem to have lost it in my fresh install, and can't remember if it was
something I added to my old installation or not.

If its an extra, where is a reliable source for a 12.2 .tgz?

Ta.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Sylvain Robitaille on
Mike Jones wrote:

> Does the "timeout" binary come with Slackware 12.2?

It looks to me like timeout was added in coreutils-7.x.
I hope that helps ...

Sylvain Robitaille syl(a)encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Sylvain Robitaille:

> Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> Does the "timeout" binary come with Slackware 12.2?
>
> It looks to me like timeout was added in coreutils-7.x. I hope that
> helps ...

A bit. (Ta!)

I've got scripts I wrote that use timout, that failed in my fresh 12.2
install due to no timeout binary being available. I found the binary in /
usr/bin in the old installation on another partition, but cannot recall
how I got it. I have nothin in my backed up stuff, nothing to suggest it
wasn't there to start with. If timeout is part of the 7.x series, it'll
be a S13+ thing, not a 12.2 thing.

Its looking as if I aquired the timeout binary from somewhere.

I remain baffled, as I have no record or memory of doing this.

Best "What did he do?" guess wins a biscuit! ;)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Sylvain Robitaille on
Mike Jones wrote:

> .... I found the binary in / usr/bin in the old installation on
> another partition, ...

Does the old partition still have its /var/log/packages? You could grep
through that to see if you upgraded the package at any time.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Sylvain Robitaille:

> Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> .... I found the binary in / usr/bin in the old installation on another
>> partition, ...
>
> Does the old partition still have its /var/log/packages? You could grep
> through that to see if you upgraded the package at any time.

Old partition is still as last used ATM, and still grub bootable.

No sign of a timout*.tgz though, nor anything in my /installs dir.

I'm wondering if I've scavenged a binary from somewhere else?

This isn't important, but it is a tease of a mystery. How does one get an
app one needs without knowing about it?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.