From: Sylvain Robitaille on
Mike Jones wrote:

> Old partition is still as last used ATM, and still grub bootable.
> No sign of a timout*.tgz though, nor anything in my /installs dir.

Check your spelling, and look *inside* the files in var/adm/packages.
For example, on a Slackware-13.0 system:

: charlotte[syl] ~; grep -rls bin/timeout /var/adm/packages
/var/adm/packages/coreutils-7.4-i486-1

> This isn't important, but it is a tease of a mystery. How does one get
> an app one needs without knowing about it?

it's all about the value of good documentation, actually ...

Sylvain Robitaille syl(a)encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Sylvain Robitaille:

> Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> Old partition is still as last used ATM, and still grub bootable. No
>> sign of a timout*.tgz though, nor anything in my /installs dir.
>
> Check your spelling, and look *inside* the files in var/adm/packages.
> For example, on a Slackware-13.0 system:
>
> : charlotte[syl] ~; grep -rls bin/timeout /var/adm/packages
> /var/adm/packages/coreutils-7.4-i486-1

'Tain't in there on 12.2.

>> This isn't important, but it is a tease of a mystery. How does one get
>> an app one needs without knowing about it?
>
> it's all about the value of good documentation, actually ...

I'm saying nothing. ;)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: William Hunt on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Mike Jones wrote:
> Responding to Sylvain Robitaille:
>> Mike Jones wrote:
>>> Old partition is still as last used ATM, and still grub bootable. No
>>> sign of a timout*.tgz though, nor anything in my /installs dir.
>> Check your spelling, and look *inside* the files in var/adm/packages.
>> For example, on a Slackware-13.0 system:
>> : charlotte[syl] ~; grep -rls bin/timeout /var/adm/packages
>> /var/adm/packages/coreutils-7.4-i486-1
>
> 'Tain't in there on 12.2.

yes it is:

$ cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 12.2.0
$ type timeout
timeout is /usr/bin/timeout
$ grep usr/bin/timeout$ /var/log/packages/*
/var/log/packages/netatalk-2.0.3-i486-1:usr/bin/timeout

:*)

--
William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA
From: Giovanni on
On 06/22/10 22:58, Mike Jones wrote:

>> Does the old partition still have its /var/log/packages? You
>> could grep through that to see if you upgraded the package at any
>> time.
>

> Old partition is still as last used ATM, and still grub bootable.
>
> No sign of a timout*.tgz though, nor anything in my /installs dir.
>
> I'm wondering if I've scavenged a binary from somewhere else?

Search for netatalk*.tgz. I don't know if the timeout binary is the
one you are searching, but it is there.

Never used the file MANIFEST.bz2 in the /slackware/ directory?

> This isn't important, but it is a tease of a mystery. How does one
> get an app one needs without knowing about it?

Ciao
Giovanni
--
A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows.
From: Loki Harfagr on
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:00:12 +0200, Giovanni did cat :

> On 06/22/10 22:58, Mike Jones wrote:
>
>>> Does the old partition still have its /var/log/packages? You could
>>> grep through that to see if you upgraded the package at any time.
>>

>> Old partition is still as last used ATM, and still grub bootable.
>>
>> No sign of a timout*.tgz though, nor anything in my /installs dir.
>>
>> I'm wondering if I've scavenged a binary from somewhere else?
>
> Search for netatalk*.tgz. I don't know if the timeout binary is the one
> you are searching, but it is there.
>
> Never used the file MANIFEST.bz2 in the /slackware/ directory?
>
>> This isn't important, but it is a tease of a mystery. How does one get
>> an app one needs without knowing about it?
>
> Ciao
> Giovanni

on this point my quick and dirty recipe goes like this:
$ bzcat .../MANIFEST.bz2 | awk '/bin\/timeout/{print $5}' RS=
../a/coreutils-8.5-x86_64-3.txz