From: Robert Billing on
As the bottle floated ashore we opened it and found the message that Ivor
Jones had written:

> Hi all, hope someone can offer advice. This *is* Linux related in that I
> want to install Linux onto the system, but please bear with me.
>
> I have a Dell 9400 laptop which currently has Windows XP on a 60GB drive
> which is becoming rather full, so I decided to get a new drive and make
> the system dual boot with XP and Linux (Fedora) as I already have on my
> desktop.
>
> I made a Norton Ghost image of the XP drive, installed the new (500GB)
> drive in the machine and began the restore process. All went well (or so
> I thought) until I started XP on the new drive prior to installing
> Fedora.
>
> The problem is that the new 500GB drive is only seen by the system as
> 60GB, the same size as the original. I know now what I did wrong, I
> should have resized the partition when I started the restore, but I
> failed to do so and now I am stuck with a 500GB drive I can't use more
> than 60GB of..!
>
> Is there any way to get the rest of this drive back..? I tried GParted
> but that still only sees the drive as a 60GB partition, as does the BIOS
> setup utility on the laptop.
>
> Any ideas anyone..?

Personally I'd just put the partition table right manually with fdisk,
even though there are newer tools that may be easier to use.

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, author, inventor, traveller, cook and
animal lover. "It burned me from within. It quickened; I was with book
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Ivor Jones" <ivor(a)thisaddressis.invalid> wrote in message

> Hi all, hope someone can offer advice. This *is* Linux related in that I
> want to install Linux onto the system, but please bear with me.
>
> I have a Dell 9400 laptop which currently has Windows XP on a 60GB drive
> which is becoming rather full, so I decided to get a new drive and make
> the system dual boot with XP and Linux (Fedora) as I already have on my
> desktop.
>
> I made a Norton Ghost image of the XP drive, installed the new (500GB)
> drive in the machine and began the restore process. All went well (or so I
> thought) until I started XP on the new drive prior to installing Fedora.
>
> The problem is that the new 500GB drive is only seen by the system as
> 60GB, the same size as the original. I know now what I did wrong, I should
> have resized the partition when I started the restore, but I failed to do
> so and now I am stuck with a 500GB drive I can't use more than 60GB of..!
>
> Is there any way to get the rest of this drive back..? I tried GParted but
> that still only sees the drive as a 60GB partition, as does the BIOS setup
> utility on the laptop.
>
> Any ideas anyone..?
>
> Ivor

I would fire up a live cd such as http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page and use
the tools on that. I would probably start with fdisk or sfdisk to look at
and change the partition table.

--
Geoff

From: chris on
On 03/02/10 01:48, Ivor Jones wrote:

> Hi all, hope someone can offer advice. This *is* Linux related in that I
> want to install Linux onto the system, but please bear with me.
>
> I have a Dell 9400 laptop which currently has Windows XP on a 60GB drive
> which is becoming rather full, so I decided to get a new drive and make
> the system dual boot with XP and Linux (Fedora) as I already have on my
> desktop.
>
> I made a Norton Ghost image of the XP drive, installed the new (500GB)
> drive in the machine and began the restore process. All went well (or so
> I thought) until I started XP on the new drive prior to installing Fedora.
>
> The problem is that the new 500GB drive is only seen by the system as
> 60GB, the same size as the original. I know now what I did wrong, I
> should have resized the partition when I started the restore, but I
> failed to do so and now I am stuck with a 500GB drive I can't use more
> than 60GB of..!
>
> Is there any way to get the rest of this drive back..? I tried GParted
> but that still only sees the drive as a 60GB partition, as does the BIOS
> setup utility on the laptop.

Why not wipe it and restart? Create a 60Gb partition on the new disk
(with a LiveCD) this time around and then restore to it.
From: PeeGee on
On 03/02/10 09:10, chris wrote:
> On 03/02/10 01:48, Ivor Jones wrote:
>>
>> Hi all, hope someone can offer advice. This *is* Linux related in that I
>> want to install Linux onto the system, but please bear with me.
>>
>> I have a Dell 9400 laptop which currently has Windows XP on a 60GB drive
>> which is becoming rather full, so I decided to get a new drive and make
>> the system dual boot with XP and Linux (Fedora) as I already have on my
>> desktop.
>>
>> I made a Norton Ghost image of the XP drive, installed the new (500GB)
>> drive in the machine and began the restore process. All went well (or so
>> I thought) until I started XP on the new drive prior to installing
>> Fedora.
>>
>> The problem is that the new 500GB drive is only seen by the system as
>> 60GB, the same size as the original. I know now what I did wrong, I
>> should have resized the partition when I started the restore, but I
>> failed to do so and now I am stuck with a 500GB drive I can't use more
>> than 60GB of..!
>>
>> Is there any way to get the rest of this drive back..? I tried GParted
>> but that still only sees the drive as a 60GB partition, as does the BIOS
>> setup utility on the laptop.
>
> Why not wipe it and restart? Create a 60Gb partition on the new disk
> (with a LiveCD) this time around and then restore to it.

Agreed, but the BIOS identifying it as 60GB is a bit worrying (it it
roughly 500GB - 3*137GB - adjusting for 1024/1000 units).

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
From: spike1 on
And verily, didst Ivor Jones <ivor(a)thisaddressis.invalid> hastily babble thusly:
> On 03/02/10 09:10, chris wrote:
>> On 03/02/10 01:48, Ivor Jones wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Is there any way to get the rest of this drive back..? I tried GParted
>>> but that still only sees the drive as a 60GB partition, as does the BIOS
>>> setup utility on the laptop.
>>
>> Why not wipe it and restart? Create a 60Gb partition on the new disk
>> (with a LiveCD) this time around and then restore to it.
>
> Erm.. it's a 500GB disk..! I just can't see anything over 60GB. Every
> tool I have tried (testdisk, sfdisk, fdisk, gparted) all say it's a 60GB
> (58GB to be exact) and won't address any more space.

Wipe the partition table with dd from a live linux cd.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=10

should do the trick.
--
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | |