From: Colin Brough on
Just got my shiny new Dell Inspiron 570, 6Gb RAM, AMD AMD Phenom II
X4 820 processor, nVidia GeForce GT220 graphics...

Had a mental abberation and installed Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit via CD.
Apparently OK, but doesn't detect the network card - though it is
listed by "lshw" as:

*-network UNCLAIMED
product: NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci(a)0000:02:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:febf0000-febfffff

Trying to boot ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso from CD fails: initramfs
reports no live file system (this is the full screen of messages I can
see):

/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdc: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdd: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdd: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sde: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sde: No medium found
stdin: error 0
stdin: error 0
stdin: error 0
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdb: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdb: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdc: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdc: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdd: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdd: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sde: No medium found
/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sde: No medium found
stdin: error 0
stdin: error 0

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

Trying to boot ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso from a USB stick fails
with simple message "boot error" (pressing return at this point goes
to grub and the Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit installation proceeds to boot, so I
suspect this is a BIOS message).

Any pointers appreciated!!

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough Colin.Brough(a)blueyonder.invalid
(Replace .invalid with .co.uk to reply)
From: Colin Brough on
Colin Brough wrote:
> Just got my shiny new Dell Inspiron 570, 6Gb RAM, AMD AMD Phenom II
> X4 820 processor, nVidia GeForce GT220 graphics...

Some more details of the fight!

Tried ubuntu-9.10-alternate-amd64.iso, and turned the burn speed down
to see whether there was a problem with the CD...

During installation:

- this also fails to detect the network hardware (Broadcom NetLink
BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet)

- throws an error trying to install busybox-initramfs

[!!] Install the base system
Unable to install busybox-initramfs
An error was returned while trying to install the busybox-initramfs
package onto the target system.

Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.

Looking in VC4 what I can see is:

preseed: locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE/LC_MESSAGES/LC_ALL... no
such file or directory
in-target: E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run
'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem
base-installer: info: kernel linux-generic usable on amd64-k8
base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-generic usable on amd64-k8
base-installer: info: kernel linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic usable on
amd64-k8
base-installer: info: Found kernels 'linux-generic
usable,linux-image-generic,kernel linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic'
base-installer: info: arch_kernel candidates: (10 listed...)
base-installer: info: arch_kernel: linux-generic (present)
base-installer: info: Using kernel 'linux-generic'
base-installer: info: Setting do_initrd='yes'
base-installer: info: Setting link_in_boot='no'
base-installer: info: Available initramfs generator(s): 'initramfs-tools'
in-target: E: dpkg was interrrupted, you must manually run
'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem
base-installer: error: exiting on error
base-installer/kernel/failed-package-install

From: Colin Brough on
Colin Brough wrote:
> Colin Brough wrote:
>> Just got my shiny new Dell Inspiron 570, 6Gb RAM, AMD AMD Phenom II
>> X4 820 processor, nVidia GeForce GT220 graphics...
>
> Some more details of the fight!

And some more...

Just before I get to this point:

> - throws an error trying to install busybox-initramfs
>
> [!!] Install the base system
> Unable to install busybox-initramfs
> An error was returned while trying to install the busybox-initramfs
> package onto the target system.
>
> Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.

I had a warning on VC1:

[!!] Install the base system
Debootstrap warning
Warning: Failure while configuring base packages. This will be
attempted 5 times.
<Go Back> <Continue>

At this point on VC4 I see the following repeated:

debootstrap: Setting up initramfs-tools (0.92bubuntu53) ...
debootstrap: update-initramfs: defererring update (trigger activated)
debootstrap:
debootstrap: Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
debootstrap: update-initramfs: Generating
/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
debootstrap: Cannot find /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic
debootstrap: update-initramfs: failed for
/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
debootstrap: dpkg: subprocess installed post-installation
script returned error exit status 1

If I open a shell on another VC and look in /lib/modules (mounted in
tmpfs) there is a zero sized file "2.6.31-14-generic". Nothing in
/target/lib/modules, and a a zero sized file "2.6.31-14-generic" in
/target/lib64/modules... Sigh... My recent installation experiences on
other hardware have all been so good too...

From: chris on
On 04/02/10 10:04, Colin Brough wrote:
> Just got my shiny new Dell Inspiron 570, 6Gb RAM, AMD AMD Phenom II
> X4 820 processor, nVidia GeForce GT220 graphics...
> Trying to boot ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso from CD fails: initramfs
> reports no live file system (this is the full screen of messages I can
> see):
>
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdc: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdd: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdd: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sde: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sde: No medium found
> stdin: error 0
> stdin: error 0
> stdin: error 0
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdb: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdb: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdc: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdc: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdd: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sdd: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sde: No medium found
> /init: line 1: can't open /dev/sde: No medium found
> stdin: error 0
> stdin: error 0
>

> BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
> (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

That usually points to a bad download or burn, or a dodgy CD/DVD drive.

> Trying to boot ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso from a USB stick fails
> with simple message "boot error" (pressing return at this point goes
> to grub and the Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit installation proceeds to boot, so I
> suspect this is a BIOS message).

Don't have much experience of this, but not all USB sticks are bootable.
Also, isn't there more to booting a USB stick than just copying the iso
to it?
From: Colin Brough on
chris wrote:
> On 04/02/10 10:04, Colin Brough wrote:
>> (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
>
> That usually points to a bad download or burn, or a dodgy CD/DVD drive.

Yeah... suspected bad download or burn, since the 32-bit install had
succeeded, but trying again with the -alternate and slowing down the
burn didn't make any substantive difference...

>> Trying to boot ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso from a USB stick fails
>> with simple message "boot error" (pressing return at this point goes
>> to grub and the Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit installation proceeds to boot, so I
>> suspect this is a BIOS message).
>
> Don't have much experience of this, but not all USB sticks are bootable.
> Also, isn't there more to booting a USB stick than just copying the iso
> to it?

Used usb-creator to put the .iso onto the stick - same process and
same stick as I'd used to (successfully) put Ubuntu on my netbook a
few weeks back...