From: Dave on
When I have the EQ Library card (82211A) inserted in my 48SX, the
startup time - i.e. the time from hitting the On key until the
calculator is ready to accept input - seems to slow significantly,
usually resulting in some missed initial keystrokes. If I remove the
card, startup time returns to normal again. The merged 32K RAM card I
have in port 1 doesn't seem to have any impact. Is this characteristic
of ROM cards? Is there any way around it? I'd prefer to leave the EQ
Library in the calculator, but the resulting slow startup time makes
this somewhat problematic.

On a similar note, I notice the same behavior with the Sparcom
Mathematics Pack inserted in my 48GX.

-Dave Britten
From: Joe Horn on
On Mar 8, 10:30 am, Dave <davidbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> When I have the EQ Library card (82211A) inserted in my 48SX, the
> startup time - i.e. the time from hitting the On key until the
> calculator is ready to accept input - seems to slow significantly...

The '48 polls the ports at turn-on, so the more ports you have filled
with anything, the longer it takes to power up. Jean-Yves Avenard
wrote a cool little program called 'FASTOFF' which sidesteps this
process, thus allowing the '48 to turn on very quickly. Check it out
at http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=2785

Hope this helps!

-Joe-
From: Dave on
On Mar 8, 3:47 pm, Joe Horn <joeh...(a)holyjoe.net> wrote:
> The '48 polls the ports at turn-on, so the more ports you have filled
> with anything, the longer it takes to power up.  Jean-Yves Avenard
> wrote a cool little program called 'FASTOFF' which sidesteps this
> process, thus allowing the '48 to turn on very quickly.  Check it out
> athttp://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=2785
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> -Joe-

I'd expect having lots of ports filled could slow startup, but that's
just the thing: the 48SX doesn't have lots of ports! Having port 1
filled with my 32K RAM card doesn't seem to slow it any, but putting
the EQ Library in port 2 has a very drastic effect. I don't imagine
it's an issue with the number of libraries, as my 48GX has more
libraries installed in RAM (with a merged 128K card in port 1) than
are present on the Sparcom Mathematics Pack which slows it down. Very
weird.

-Dave Britten