From: Merciadri Luca on
From: John H Meyers on
On 3/10/2010 7:12 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> For example, using RPN:
>
> 2:'X^2 + X(X-4) +3X'
> 1:SOLVEVX

The expression seems pretty hard to enter in RPN mode
(invalid syntax), but if entered in Algebraic mode,
with 'X' undefined, just one instance of 'X' is taken to mean
a user-defined function of argument (X-4), which later causes
Error: Not reducible to a rational expression

I.E. `X^2 + X(X-4) +3X` [note the back-quotes]
produces [at least with my flags], in SysRPL syntax:

SYMBOL ID X ZINT 4 x- SYMBOL ID X ; BINT1 xFCNAPPLY <== function!
ID X ZINT 2 x^ ZINT 3 ID X x* x+ x+ ;

As you correctly concluded,
X*(X-4) would be better RPN syntax than X(X-4)

I suppose there must be some "operator precedence" rule for ALG mode
that must dictate "function of" to be higher priority
than "implied multiplication" -- or is there?

[r->] [OFF]
From: Merciadri Luca on
From: John H Meyers on
On 3/10/2010 9:21 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

>>> 2:'X^2 + X(X-4) +3X'
>>> 1:SOLVEVX

> You do not seem to give a personal point of view about the `Not
> reducible to a rational expression' error when one is working in
> symbolic mode and wants to solve a symbolically-constituted equation
> for the defined symbol. This error only happens, as I stated before,
> when the user does not use `*' as a product operator in |R.

You had said RPN (mode?), and you can't even enter that in RPN mode
(nor can you omit multiplication operators anywhere in RPN mode).

In ALG mode, the expression compiles into something which has no meaning,
because one 'X' is a function which takes an argument,
and the remaining 'X' have no arguments -- there is no
"implied multiplication," because "function of (X-4)"
evidently took precedence, compiler-wise.

What does it mean to "solve" an algebraic expression (for a "zero")
if the expression itself has no meaning?

I'm satisfied just to not get a TTRM :)

From: Merciadri Luca on