From: John H Meyers on
On 3/10/2010 11:55 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I thought I had already specified the '=0' part.

You don't actually need to,
because the generalized meaning of "solving an expression"
is actually defined as "make the entire expression value zero"

If the expression happens to be "leftside=rightside"
the "=" operator actually translates into a subtraction
when evaluating, to produce a single value anyway,
from any valid algebraic expression,
whether containing "=" or not,
and finally making that single numeric value zero.

As an example, '4=3' \->NUM results in 1,
because "=" is treated as the lowest priority
of all algebraic operators, ultimately meaning "-"

By the same token, either algebraically or numerically solving
'4-2*X=3-X' for X results in an entire expression value of 1
when X is zero, or an entire expression value of zero when X is 1,
achieving the goal and solution for X at the latter point,
in exactly the same steps as "solving" the expression '(4-2*X)-(3-X)'
for where its entire single value is zero.

Appending "=0" to any expression not yet containing "="
is therefore not necessary for "solving,"
and in fact only wastes a little time :)

[r->] [OFF]
From: Veli-Pekka.Nousiainen on

From: Virgil on
Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was solving chemistry problems with my 50g, when I realized that
> SOLVEX fails with an equation of the 2nd degree where products are not
> indicated using dots.
>
> For example, using RPN:
>
> 2:'x^2 + x(x-4) +3x'
> 1:SOLVEX

> won't work, and will display an error message to explain that the
> expression cannot be reduced to a canonical form. Is it normal?
> I would accept this as a normal thing iff the 50g was using
> parentheses to compute, say,<f, g>, where f and g are two functions,
> but I do not think that it has this kind of capabilities.

Try
'x^2 + x*(x-4) +3*x'
'x'
SOLVE