From: erilar on
People accuse me of upgrade paranoia. This OS is the best justification
for it EVER! I had to have it for the iPad I hope someday to have the
time to get better acquainted with*. First I need to heal my laptop.

OS 10.6.3 has killed my address book, hidden some fonts, and killed my
local network connection to my old computer.

Address book: wiped out all but about a dozen randomly sampled
addresses. The only source for about 3/4 of the list is in my iPod,
which I no longer dare to connect to update music because it will sync
with the now-kaput address book and lose that list. Do have to type all
the info in one letter at a time again?

When I open FontBook I get a notice about some misplaced fonts it can't
display, but it displays them in documents.

When I try to open the local network connection between new and old
computers, it's dead. Diagnostics tells me the ethernet cable is
disconnected, but it's connected.

I'm sure more problems will surface, but I would GREATLY appreciate any
suggestions

*footnote: the iPad is also presenting problems, but I hope to
eventually solve most of them. First the OS problems!!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
From: Geoffrey S. Mendelson on
erilar wrote:

> When I open FontBook I get a notice about some misplaced fonts it can't
> display, but it displays them in documents.

Where exactly are those fonts? Do a search for them and see if the are in the
correct places. /Library/Fonts is a good place. ~/Library/Fonts (~ meaning
your home directory) is a bad place because it only works for your userid.

> When I try to open the local network connection between new and old
> computers, it's dead. Diagnostics tells me the ethernet cable is
> disconnected, but it's connected.

That's more of a catch all message. Make sure you are looking at the actual
ethernet interface and not a virtual or wireless one.

You can open a terminal and type "ifconfig -a" and look for the one that has
a media defined. For example (from my 10.5 system):

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1400
media: 100baseTX <half-duplex> (<unknown type>) status: inactive
supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 1000baseT <half-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex>

Also make sure you have a correct and working cable. The old 10mbit cables
don't really work at 100mbit reliably and certainly won't work at 1000mbit.

Also make sure the ethernet cable is connected before you turn on the computer.
That's a known bug, but I thought it was fixed. There was a discussion recently
I think in c.s.m.system about the order of ethernet devices and how to make
sure they are enabled. Look it up.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm(a)mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
From: Shaun on
erilar wrote:
> People accuse me of upgrade paranoia. This OS is the best justification
> for it EVER! I had to have it for the iPad I hope someday to have the
> time to get better acquainted with*. First I need to heal my laptop.
>
> OS 10.6.3 has killed my address book, hidden some fonts, and killed my
> local network connection to my old computer.
>
> Address book: wiped out all but about a dozen randomly sampled
> addresses. The only source for about 3/4 of the list is in my iPod,
> which I no longer dare to connect to update music because it will sync
> with the now-kaput address book and lose that list. Do have to type all
> the info in one letter at a time again?
>
> When I open FontBook I get a notice about some misplaced fonts it can't
> display, but it displays them in documents.
>
> When I try to open the local network connection between new and old
> computers, it's dead. Diagnostics tells me the ethernet cable is
> disconnected, but it's connected.
>
> I'm sure more problems will surface, but I would GREATLY appreciate any
> suggestions
>

> *footnote: the iPad is also presenting problems, but I hope to
> eventually solve most of them. First the OS problems!!

Curious-- hundreds of thousands of us (maybe even millions?) upgraded
without a hitch.

No doubt your backups are readily available to restore any lost data...
From: erilar on
In article <hu5t9h$f4$2(a)news.albasani.net>, Shaun <sosies(a)double.net>
wrote:

> Curious-- hundreds of thousands of us (maybe even millions?) upgraded
> without a hitch.
>
> No doubt your backups are readily available to restore any lost data...

My backups are useless against the ferocity of the leopard. I've been
on the phone with various people at Apple all afternoon. One problem I
didn't mention surfaced and was solved. The address book and the
networking problems are insoluble.

From: erilar on
In article <slrni0crcg.rin.gsm(a)cable.mendelson.com>,
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm(a)cable.mendelson.com> wrote:

> erilar wrote:
>
> > When I open FontBook I get a notice about some misplaced fonts it can't
> > display, but it displays them in documents.
>
> Where exactly are those fonts? Do a search for them and see if the are in the
> correct places. /Library/Fonts is a good place. ~/Library/Fonts (~ meaning
> your home directory) is a bad place because it only works for your userid.
When I look for them, they're with the others, and they appear in
FontBook normally, as well as in documents. I can't find them anywhere
else. It begins to look like a bogus message.

> > When I try to open the local network connection between new and old
> > computers, it's dead. Diagnostics tells me the ethernet cable is
> > disconnected, but it's connected.
>
> That's more of a catch all message. Make sure you are looking at the actual
> ethernet interface and not a virtual or wireless one.
I went through two Apple people on this. The problem is
insoluble. I need to move data manually with a thumb drive, which I
haven't previously needed.

> Also make sure the ethernet cable is connected before you turn on the
> computer.
> That's a known bug, but I thought it was fixed. There was a discussion
> recently
> I think in c.s.m.system about the order of ethernet devices and how to make
> sure they are enabled. Look it up.

I was told by Apple that SnowLeopard is never going to recognize the
ethernet connection. Yes, it IS connected physically to both the old
computer and Airport. Everything else is wirelessly connected via either
Airport or Bluetooth.

Thanks for the suggestions, however. I'll leave the ethernet cable
connected in case a fix turns up.