From: gtr on
I want a macro that issues the statement:

quicktime, begin recording audio now.

I use Quickeys to initiate the application start fro Quicktime, and the
menu-selection of "New Audio Recording" but it won't push the button
for "begin recording". And another for "end" recording" while we're at
it. I don't like to touch mice.

Can anyone provide an Applescript pointer?
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

From: gtr on
Thanks for the input, guys.

Someone at the QuicKeys forum point out that simply hitting the space
bar toggles Record/Stop Record. D'oh! As a non-mouse activity it's
easier to actually do it manually.

To Mr. Rogers point:

I think using scripts in conjunction with QuicKeys works great to
perform some kinds of tasks. A few things aren't so easy to do with
QuicKeys, or don't make for rapidly-operating macros. On occasion I
have written a few Applescripts that do the task, and then triggered
these using QuicKeys.

To Tom's point:

Thanks for the direction to Automator. I was ecstatic when Automater
was first announced. But I've *never* been able to actually use the
thing. I find it amazingly confusing, though I know its intent is the
opposite. I haven't written it off, and intend to get comfortable with
it one day.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

From: gtr on
On 2010-06-03 15:19:51 -0700, Jolly Roger said:

>> I made no comparison between Applescript and QuicKeys and see no reason
>> to keep them somehow functionally segregated. I use them in conjunction
>> with one another quite successfully. Quickeys has an option to run an
>> Applescript. Sometimes that's handy. I thought this might have been one
>> of them. It would have been if I didn't find an easier solution.
>
> The script I gave you does just what you want. So the only utility I can
> see in QuicKeys for it is to invoke that script.

True but our needs shift. I realized that when I start the macro I
don't really want it to begin recording immediately. I wanted to start
it, but didn't want to use the mouse. The space bar does it for me.
But yes the script looked like it would do just that. Thanks.

>> Relative to not confusing the IU with the program functions underneath
>> the IU, my intent was to "make a recording begin" but I was faced with
>> a button-pusing process instead.
>
> Had you examined the Quicktiem Player discitonary, I doubt very
> seriously you would have found yourself trying to click buttons to begin
> with.

Right.

>> I wanted to use Applescript to avoid
>> hassling with buttons. I think that falls within "what it was designed
>> to do", no?
>
> Yep, but you tried the UI junk first instead.

Not so. I don't use Applescript to do "UI junk", I use Quickeys for
that. It's quicker to get done.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?