From: MNRebecca on
I'm looking for software that will allow me to organize research
information for a book, a computerized version of notecards, if you
will, only with the ability to tag each card with multiple identifiers
for searching and sorting. For example:

Say I'm writing a book about Matt, Mark, Luke and John who lived in
Paris, New York, and Rome from 1970 to 1980. I find an article about
John and Luke going to Studio 54 in 1977. I want to be able to make
an entry or note where I say,

"According to NYT 5/4/1977 ppA-13, John got arrested in 1977 during a
bust of Studio 54."

Then I want to tag it with "John," "Luke," "1977," and "New York," so
that it pops up later when I do a search for all my notes about John.

I also want to be able to ADD more tags later (like 'Arrests' or
'illness').

Suggestions?
From: Gerry on
In article
<a3a81e6f-919c-40d4-a593-485228730708(a)z10g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
MNRebecca <webbrl(a)morris.umn.edu> wrote:

> I'm looking for software that will allow me to organize research
> information for a book, a computerized version of notecards, if you
> will, only with the ability to tag each card with multiple identifiers
> for searching and sorting. For example:
>
> Say I'm writing a book about Matt, Mark, Luke and John who lived in
> Paris, New York, and Rome from 1970 to 1980. I find an article about
> John and Luke going to Studio 54 in 1977. I want to be able to make
> an entry or note where I say,
>
> "According to NYT 5/4/1977 ppA-13, John got arrested in 1977 during a
> bust of Studio 54."
>
> Then I want to tag it with "John," "Luke," "1977," and "New York," so
> that it pops up later when I do a search for all my notes about John.
>
> I also want to be able to ADD more tags later (like 'Arrests' or
> 'illness').
>
> Suggestions?

You might want to check out Yojimbo from BareBones Software at:
<http://www.barebones.com/products/yojimbo/>
From: Wes Groleau on
On 06-08-2010 15:28, MNRebecca wrote:
> I'm looking for software that will allow me to organize research
> information for a book, a computerized version of notecards, if you

Don't know whether it does the tagging part, but EndNote seems
to be popular at the college I dropped out of. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

"There are more people worthy of blame
than there is blame to go around."
From: MNRebecca on
On Jun 8, 3:04 pm, Gerry <every...(a)sunrise.net> wrote:

> You might want to check out Yojimbo from BareBones Software at:
> <http://www.barebones.com/products/yojimbo/>

Wish it
1. Was available for Mac 10.4
2. Let you create multiple libraries
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<a3a81e6f-919c-40d4-a593-485228730708(a)z10g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
MNRebecca <webbrl(a)morris.umn.edu> wrote:

> I'm looking for software that will allow me to organize research
> information for a book, a computerized version of notecards, if you
> will, only with the ability to tag each card with multiple identifiers
> for searching and sorting. For example:
>
> Say I'm writing a book about Matt, Mark, Luke and John who lived in
> Paris, New York, and Rome from 1970 to 1980. I find an article about
> John and Luke going to Studio 54 in 1977. I want to be able to make
> an entry or note where I say,
>
> "According to NYT 5/4/1977 ppA-13, John got arrested in 1977 during a
> bust of Studio 54."
>
> Then I want to tag it with "John," "Luke," "1977," and "New York," so
> that it pops up later when I do a search for all my notes about John.
>
> I also want to be able to ADD more tags later (like 'Arrests' or
> 'illness').
>
> Suggestions?

Hmm... I wonder what the advantage would be to a specialized tagging
application when you could just store this information in text files and
do a Spotlight search of the content to find related information?

JR