From: Christoph Breitkopf on
nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:
> In article <1165981337.336317.84290(a)80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>,
> "Robert Myers" <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> writes:
> |>
> |> This whole discussion is surprising. Implementations of the TCP/IP
> |> stack in hardware can be bought off the shelf. Every contributor to
> |> this thread must know that. There's a card out especially for gamers
> |> that implements a network stack.
>
> The whole stack? I didn't know that. Do you have a reference?

He's referring to this:
http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/

Has some features typically only found in dedicated server network
cards, but it certainly does not implement the whole TCP stack.
AFAIK at least - I don't know anything about network stacks.

Regards,
Chris
From: Terje Mathisen on
Robert Myers wrote:
> This whole discussion is surprising. Implementations of the TCP/IP
> stack in hardware can be bought off the shelf. Every contributor to
> this thread must know that. There's a card out especially for gamers
> that implements a network stack.
>
> If there were any edge to anything else, somebody'd be doing it, if
> only for the gamers. If it isn't being done, it's because there's no
> advantage to it.

Robert, that 'Killer NIC' is very close to pure bullshit, i.e. they sel
it because they can make money on gullible gamers.

If they do shave a few us of the ping time, it is because they cheat,
i.e. tweak their TCPIP implementation, not because they have hardware on
the card.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: Benny Amorsen on

CB> Has some features typically only found in dedicated server network
CB> cards, but it certainly does not implement the whole TCP stack.
CB> AFAIK at least - I don't know anything about network stacks.

It certainly runs _a_ whole network stack. The thing is an embedded
Linux system. How they can get a latency advantage from shuffling
packets through the Windows network stack as well as the Linux one is
somewhat baffling to me.

/Benny

From: Dennis M. O'Connor on
"Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> wrote ...
> Robert Myers wrote:
>> This whole discussion is surprising. Implementations of the TCP/IP
>> stack in hardware can be bought off the shelf. Every contributor to
>> this thread must know that. There's a card out especially for gamers
>> that implements a network stack.
>>
>> If there were any edge to anything else, somebody'd be doing it, if
>> only for the gamers. If it isn't being done, it's because there's no
>> advantage to it.
>
> Robert, that 'Killer NIC' is very close to pure bullshit, i.e. they sel it
> because they can make money on gullible gamers.

Actually, HardOCP did some blind testing with and without it,
and on some games (WoW, for example) it did give an
improvement in gameplay. The article is on at
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/

I'd say the "Killer NIC" isn't really for the gullible, no more than
tuned exhaust headers in cars are. Both serve the desires of people
with the money to pursue that every last little bit of performance. I'd
expect "Killer NIC" users to already be using overclocked,
aggressively-cooled systems with maxed out DRAM and
dual- or quad-ganged high-end video cards. For people in
that category, the cost is no big deal, and there is nowhere
else to go for the performance.

These are gamers. It's a hobby. That means there is no
"reasonableness" criteria to apply: just whether it is fun.
--
Dennis M. O'Connor

From: Robert Myers on
Nick Maclaren wrote:

> The whole stack? I didn't know that. Do you have a reference?

I was referring to the products of http://www.alacritech.com/, and, no,
it does not implement the entire stack in hardware, just those parts
that it is advantageous to implement in hardware.

When I became aware of the "killer NIC," I revisited the subject of
TCP/IP offload and satisfied myself that there were already products
existing that would do whatever a sensible person wanted to do. I must
say that I admire the creators of the "killer NIC" for spotting a niche
and occupying it.

The subject of TCP/IP offload has been discussed here seriously and
extensively, but I don't know that the subject has been exhausted. A
serious revisiting of the subject would acknowledge that the problem
and the possibilities have long been known (Del's point, I think),
examine the current state of the art, and ask what possibilities
remain.

I'm not so interested in games myself, except as drivers of technology,
which they are. Communications limitations, not processor technology,
are the limits to a truly scalable supercomputer. At the moment, most
of the effort and most of the money is going into a technology where
the game has already been conceded before it is started: the best the
communications hardware can do is not to muck it up any worse than the
off-the-shelf communications protocol and software it must rely on.

Robert.