From: AirRaid on
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36335

latest Cell Roadmap
http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/7706/cell2007pw6.jpg

"During a recent event IBM has unveiled a few details on Cell
roadmap.As you can see Cell will be manufactured at 65nm during next
year and a next gen version of the chip is expected around 2010
featuring 2PPE and 32 SPEs (45nm manufacturing technology)."

this backs Jim Kahle (IBM's Chief Cell Architect) recent claim that
they'd be aiming for 1 TeraFlop performance on a single chip using 32
SPEs

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/10/the_playstation.html

"JK: For us to extrapolate. We will push the number of special
processing units. By 2010, we will shoot for a teraflop on a chip. I
think it establishes there is a roadmap. We want to invest in it. For
those that want to invest in the software, it shows that there is life
in this architecture as we continue to move forward.

DT: Right now you're at 200 gigaflops?

JK: We're in the low 200s now.

DT : So that is five times faster by 2010?

JK: Four or five times faster. Yes, you basically need about 32 special
processing units."

From: jsavard on
AirRaid wrote:
> this backs Jim Kahle (IBM's Chief Cell Architect) recent claim that
> they'd be aiming for 1 TeraFlop performance on a single chip using 32
> SPEs

What I want to know is if they're ever going to make a chip that
concentrates on *double precision* (64-bit) floating-point performance.

John Savard

From: John Dallman on
In article <1165671427.572529.41970(a)f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca () wrote:

> What I want to know is if they're ever going to make a chip that
> concentrates on *double precision* (64-bit) floating-point
> performance.

Unlikely while they're concentrating on graphics and audio. And while
CELL design team concentrates in those areas, it's unlikely to get
take-up in the areas that require double precision. Chicken, egg.

---
John Dallman jgd(a)cix.co.uk
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
well-rigged demo"
From: mike on

"John Dallman" <jgd(a)cix.co.uk> wrote in message
| In article <1165671427.572529.41970(a)f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
| jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca () wrote:
|
| > What I want to know is if they're ever going to make a chip that
| > concentrates on *double precision* (64-bit) floating-point
| > performance.
|
| Unlikely while they're concentrating on graphics and audio. And
while
| CELL design team concentrates in those areas, it's unlikely to get
| take-up in the areas that require double precision. Chicken, egg.
|
| ---
| John Dallman jgd(a)cix.co.uk
| "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
| well-rigged demo"

I agree with your prediction of the likely impact of economics.
However, this thread triggered an interesting thought.

What if IBM abstracted out the SPE interface logic and management
software (once it is perfected) to allow third parties to re-use the
Cell's high-level design with different specialized SPE instruction
sets? Just as they re-use the PowerPC processor architecture on
several projects, they could re-use the cell multi-processor
extensions to the PPC. The new SPE's could be mini-PPC machines or 64
bit vector floating point engines or IP protocol engines, or
compression / de-compression engines, or encryption engines, etc.

Mike Sicilian

From: Jason Lee Eckhardt on
<jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>AirRaid wrote:
>> this backs Jim Kahle (IBM's Chief Cell Architect) recent claim that
>> they'd be aiming for 1 TeraFlop performance on a single chip using 32
>> SPEs
>
>What I want to know is if they're ever going to make a chip that
>concentrates on *double precision* (64-bit) floating-point performance.

Yes, they will.
Just yesterday at a lecture at Rice University, Andy White of LANL
discussed the RoadRunner system being developed around Opteron and
Cell. As part of the talk, he showed a roadmap for Cell which
has an enhanced version scheduled for early 2008 with better
double-precision performance (~100 GFLOP/s). That is the one that
will be in the production RoadRunner, if I understood him correctly.

Even with the current Cell (~15 DP GFLOP/s), Andy said they were
getting 5X speed-up on Sweep3D (hand tuned for Cell) over Opteron.
Sweep3D is the core of one of their large production codes and
uses double precision for all FP. That is good DP performance.

He mentioned that 2-3 other important production apps were expected
to do well on Cell, though they had done only the preliminary analysis
and not the actual ports yet.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Need SimpleScalar GCC Compiler