From: Thor Lancelot Simon on
In article <sWFeh.801$yC5.90(a)newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
mike <mike(a)mike.net> wrote:

>What if IBM abstracted out the SPE interface logic and management
>software (once it is perfected) to allow third parties to re-use the
>Cell's high-level design with different specialized SPE instruction
>sets? Just as they re-use the PowerPC processor architecture on
>several projects, they could re-use the cell multi-processor
>extensions to the PPC. The new SPE's could be mini-PPC machines or 64
>bit vector floating point engines or IP protocol engines, or
>compression / de-compression engines, or encryption engines, etc.

That's a beautiful idea. I hope IBM listens -- or already has, to
someone who generated it internally.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon tls(a)rek.tjls.com
"The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
From: Del Cecchi on

"Thor Lancelot Simon" <tls(a)panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <sWFeh.801$yC5.90(a)newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
> mike <mike(a)mike.net> wrote:
>>
>>What if IBM abstracted out the SPE interface logic and management
>>software (once it is perfected) to allow third parties to re-use the
>>Cell's high-level design with different specialized SPE instruction
>>sets? Just as they re-use the PowerPC processor architecture on
>>several projects, they could re-use the cell multi-processor
>>extensions to the PPC. The new SPE's could be mini-PPC machines or 64
>>bit vector floating point engines or IP protocol engines, or
>>compression / de-compression engines, or encryption engines, etc.
>
> That's a beautiful idea. I hope IBM listens -- or already has, to
> someone who generated it internally.
>
> --
> Thor Lancelot Simon
> tls(a)rek.tjls.com
> "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have
> greater
> private means are permitted to use their advantages to control the
> course
> of public debate." -John Rawls

An interesting idea. Now, how would IBM make money from this project?
Is there some organization that would pay IBM for such a chip? Who would
buy it and how many would they buy if IBM built it on spec?

If you represent an organization with money, email me and we can get the
project underway as soon as the deal is signed. :-) (It's easy to
figure out seemingly good ideas, harder to make money off them)

del

From: Robert Myers on
Del Cecchi wrote:

> An interesting idea. Now, how would IBM make money from this project?
> Is there some organization that would pay IBM for such a chip? Who would
> buy it and how many would they buy if IBM built it on spec?
>
> If you represent an organization with money, email me and we can get the
> project underway as soon as the deal is signed. :-) (It's easy to
> figure out seemingly good ideas, harder to make money off them)

A little testy, no?

IBM is one of the few non-government players in a position to take a
leadership role.

As we are going now, the US is aiming to be a second or third class
player in technology and science, and much of the negative leadership
is coming from players who think themselves the brightest thing in the
firmament. If the nobodies speak up, they're doing no worse than the
somebodies doing all the talking.

Robert.

From: Del Cecchi on

"Robert Myers" <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Del Cecchi wrote:
>>
>> An interesting idea. Now, how would IBM make money from this project?
>> Is there some organization that would pay IBM for such a chip? Who
>> would
>> buy it and how many would they buy if IBM built it on spec?
>>
>> If you represent an organization with money, email me and we can get
>> the
>> project underway as soon as the deal is signed. :-) (It's easy to
>> figure out seemingly good ideas, harder to make money off them)
>>

> A little testy, no?
>
> IBM is one of the few non-government players in a position to take a
> leadership role.
>
> As we are going now, the US is aiming to be a second or third class
> player in technology and science, and much of the negative leadership
> is coming from players who think themselves the brightest thing in the
> firmament. If the nobodies speak up, they're doing no worse than the
> somebodies doing all the talking.
>
> Robert.

All these folks that love to tell others what they "ought to do" as if
the folks in a position to actually do stuff are dough heads or something
sometimes bug me. I merely wanted to point out that economics enter
into the equation. And a little more rigor than "hey wouldn't it be
great if..... we painted it candy apple red and put on a 6-71 blower"
would be nice.

IBM did take a leadership role with Blue Gene. It was specifically
developed to be useful for a certain class of problems. It turned out to
also be useful for some others. Now they are taking a leadership role in
finding new applications for Cell, including some that the government is
paying for.

At the very least those making suggestions should think about and discuss
tradeoffs involved.

And yes, I suppose I was a little testy.

del

From: mike on

"Del Cecchi" <delcecchiofthenorth(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

| "Thor Lancelot Simon" <tls(a)panix.com> wrote in message
| > In article <sWFeh.801$yC5.90(a)newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
| > mike <mike(a)mike.net> wrote:
| >>
| >>What if IBM abstracted out the SPE interface logic and management
| >>software (once it is perfected) to allow third parties to re-use
the
| >>Cell's high-level design with different specialized SPE
instruction
| >>sets? Just as they re-use the PowerPC processor architecture on
| >>several projects, they could re-use the cell multi-processor
| >>extensions to the PPC. The new SPE's could be mini-PPC machines
or 64
| >>bit vector floating point engines or IP protocol engines, or
| >>compression / de-compression engines, or encryption engines, etc.
| >
| > That's a beautiful idea. I hope IBM listens -- or already has, to
| > someone who generated it internally.
| >
| > --
| > Thor Lancelot Simon
| > tls(a)rek.tjls.com
| > "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have
| > greater
| > private means are permitted to use their advantages to control
the
| > course
| > of public debate." -John Rawls
|
| An interesting idea. Now, how would IBM make money from this
project?
| Is there some organization that would pay IBM for such a chip? Who
would
| buy it and how many would they buy if IBM built it on spec?
|
| If you represent an organization with money, email me and we can get
the
| project underway as soon as the deal is signed. :-) (It's easy to
| figure out seemingly good ideas, harder to make money off them)
|
| del

OUCH!

I am a retired CIO and unfortunately I do not have a $billion to throw
at the idea or a business that could make a $billion from it.
However, IBM has already talked about "an open PPC development
strategy". They also used the PPC to develop business with the big
three game console companies.

If I were a business development guy in the IBM microelectronics group
and looking for the next big opportunity, I would talk to CISCO about
the IP protocol engine and the encryption engines mentioned above for
starters. If that did not fly I am sure there are several other
router companies to talk to or other special SPE's to think about.

The point is that the Cell architecture if not the current Cell
implementation could provide the basis of a whole new market area for
IBM. There are any number of potential partners that need cheep
cycles to make their next generation products.

Mike Sicilian

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Need SimpleScalar GCC Compiler