From: Thor Lancelot Simon on
In article <_PLeh.901$yC5.27(a)newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
mike <mike(a)mike.net> wrote:

>If I were a business development guy in the IBM microelectronics group
>and looking for the next big opportunity, I would talk to CISCO about
>the IP protocol engine and the encryption engines mentioned above for
>starters. If that did not fly I am sure there are several other
>router companies to talk to or other special SPE's to think about.

Well, Cisco can pretty much do what they want, but I doubt they'll do
much on the basis of anything anyone says here. I should note that
there are already some off-the-shelf network processors (I'm thinking
of the Xscale models with their "millicoded" front-ends that execute
something roughly like 16-bit MIPS instructions) that are probably
more architecturally similar to Cell than anything else designed
recently -- though this just occurred to me. I don't think Cisco
uses these but it's pretty darned clear that that's who they're aimed
at! I believe this is actually one of the two pieces of StrongARM/Xscale
that Intel did not shed to Marvell so they must think it's worth something.

There are not many sane crypto processors out there and nothing that
is really equipped to handle, in an efficient, record-at-a-time way,
multiple, complex crypto protocols. So for example you can buy
something from Broadcom or Hifn that will decapsulate and decrypt an
SSL stream for you, and they might give you firmware that does IPsec,
but you can't alter it to do OpenVPN or WPA or SSH packet processing
in the same efficient, packet-at-a-time way, at least not without help
from the vendor that is usually not offered. And *nobody* likes
relying on black-box vendor firmware for this stuff, but doing the
packet processing in lockstep between the host CPU and accellerator,
as is required to use the accellerator's raw cryptographic transforms,
is just too slow at modern data rates.

A cryptographic version of Cell seems like an incredibly elegant way
out of this box (whether the _whole thing_ is used as an offload
processor for another CPU, or the PowerPC core is used as main CPU
for the overall application and the SPEs as crypto processors). The
question is whether IBM thinks they could overcome existing relationships
with crypto chip vendors to sell it, I would think, because the win on
technical grounds seems pretty clear.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon tls(a)rek.tjls.com
"The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
From: jsavard on
John Dallman wrote:
> quoting me:
>
> > What I want to know is if they're ever going to make a chip that
> > concentrates on *double precision* (64-bit) floating-point
> > performance.
>
> Unlikely while they're concentrating on graphics and audio. And while
> CELL design team concentrates in those areas, it's unlikely to get
> take-up in the areas that require double precision. Chicken, egg.

True, but that isn't too serious if someone else, concentrating in
other areas, makes available a double-precision workhorse at reasonable
prices. There already is the 96-element ClearSpeed chip, and there may
be a DSP out there featuring double-precision as well.

John Savard

From: mike on

"Del Cecchi" <delcecchiofthenorth(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

| "Robert Myers" <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
| > Del Cecchi wrote:
| >>
| >> An interesting idea. Now, how would IBM make money from this
project?
| >> Is there some organization that would pay IBM for such a chip?
Who
| >> would
| >> buy it and how many would they buy if IBM built it on spec?
| >>
| >> If you represent an organization with money, email me and we can
get
| >> the
| >> project underway as soon as the deal is signed. :-) (It's easy
| >> figure out seemingly good ideas, harder to make money off them)
| >>

| > A little testy, no?
| >
| > IBM is one of the few non-government players in a position to take
| > leadership role.
| >
| > As we are going now, the US is aiming to be a second or third
class
| > player in technology and science, and much of the negative
leadership
| > is coming from players who think themselves the brightest thing in
the
| > firmament. If the nobodies speak up, they're doing no worse than
the
| > somebodies doing all the talking.
| >
| > Robert.
| >

| All these folks that love to tell others what they "ought to do" as
if
| the folks in a position to actually do stuff are dough heads or
something
| sometimes bug me. I merely wanted to point out that economics
enter
| into the equation. And a little more rigor than "hey wouldn't it be
| great if..... we painted it candy apple red and put on a 6-71
blower"
| would be nice.
|
| IBM did take a leadership role with Blue Gene. It was specifically
| developed to be useful for a certain class of problems. It turned
out to
| also be useful for some others. Now they are taking a leadership
role in
| finding new applications for Cell, including some that the
government is
| paying for.
|
| At the very least those making suggestions should think about and
discuss
| tradeoffs involved.
|
| And yes, I suppose I was a little testy.
|
| del

I did not mean to imply that IBM should do this "for the good of all
man kind" or build such systems on speculation, but that if a partner
/ customer can be found, Cell offers a way to use very small simple
specialized SPE's to make a very fast system.

Mike Sicilian

From: Piotr Wyderski on
Robert Myers wrote:

> As we are going now, the US is aiming to be a second or third class
> player in technology and science, and much of the negative leadership
> is coming from players who think themselves the brightest thing in the
> firmament.

So simply do not buy their products and let their competitors fulfill
your needs. If you are wrong, nobody will see the difference and
the mistake will be your problem. If you are right, the competitors'
income will increase, so it will become IBM's problem.

I am not an IBM defender (well, I keep away, as far as possible,
from their software products, frankly speaking), but here I support
their way: how much money can you make from designing and
selling such a chip? If not much, then why shoud they bother?

Best regards
Piotr Wyderski

From: Del Cecchi on

"mike" <mike(a)mike.net> wrote in message

> "Del Cecchi" <delcecchiofthenorth(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> |
> | "Thor Lancelot Simon" <tls(a)panix.com> wrote in message

> the
> instruction
> or 64
> | >
> | > That's a beautiful idea. I hope IBM listens -- or already has, to
> | > someone who generated it internally.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Thor Lancelot Simon
> | > tls(a)rek.tjls.com
> | > "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have
> | > greater
> | > private means are permitted to use their advantages to control
> the
> | > course
> | > of public debate." -John Rawls
> |
> | An interesting idea. Now, how would IBM make money from this
> project?
> | Is there some organization that would pay IBM for such a chip? Who
> would
> | buy it and how many would they buy if IBM built it on spec?
> |
> | If you represent an organization with money, email me and we can get
> the
> | project underway as soon as the deal is signed. :-) (It's easy to
> | figure out seemingly good ideas, harder to make money off them)
> |
> | del
>

> OUCH!
>
> I am a retired CIO and unfortunately I do not have a $billion to throw
> at the idea or a business that could make a $billion from it.
> However, IBM has already talked about "an open PPC development
> strategy". They also used the PPC to develop business with the big
> three game console companies.
>
> If I were a business development guy in the IBM microelectronics group
> and looking for the next big opportunity, I would talk to CISCO about
> the IP protocol engine and the encryption engines mentioned above for
> starters. If that did not fly I am sure there are several other
> router companies to talk to or other special SPE's to think about.
>
> The point is that the Cell architecture if not the current Cell
> implementation could provide the basis of a whole new market area for
> IBM. There are any number of potential partners that need cheep
> cycles to make their next generation products.
>
> Mike Sicilian

Cisco is a good idea. Actually it wouldn't surprise me if someone were
to already be talking to Cisco about such things. IBM sells them a lot
of stuff, and I almost certainly wouldn't know about what they were
pitching. And sometimes the best ideas don't come from the marketing
folks.

del

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6