From: Grant on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:03:41 -0700 (PDT), George Herold <ggherold(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 23, 5:16 pm, Grant <o...(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:45:22 -0700 (PDT), George Herold <gher...(a)teachspin.com> wrote:

>> >Today, (at the suggestion of Grant on SED), I 'burned' some 44 flux
>> >with a soldering gun.  I made lots of black icky stuff.  The
>> >resistance was 3X10^11 ohms the same as all the other boards.
>>
>> Thanks for that, I'm hand soldering prototypes on matrix card with
>> 60/40 rosin core (Ersin multicore) and any rework usually burns the
>> rosin, knowing it's not making unexpected resistors is good :)
>>
>> Grant.
>
>This was a 'one of' experiment, your results at home may vary.

Oh sure, it's the indication of trouble I was after. I don't have a
high range resistance meter here. You found more trouble with water
wash flux than with cooked rosin :)

>It sounds like you need a temperature regulated soldering iron. I've
>got a Weller with temperature 'set point' tips. The 700F with a sharp
>tip works fine and never any burning.

Yes, I know the Weller, used them for years, at work, sometimes at home,
and I chose 700'F tips too. I don't like that slight tip jump when the
Weller's tip 'clicks' in sometimes at a critical part of work. As well,
they attract the iron based leads from some components, very annoying.

Got a new Hakko FX-888 65W temperature controlled iron recently (couple
weeks ago), still getting used to it. Quite pleased with new iron so far.

With the old soldering iron I had to turn temp up a bit to get heat
flow, thus it was often too hot :( Not enough metal in the tips, so
temp regulation was poor.

Here's a photo of latest project, some rosin is slightly cooked, none
is black, nor even very dark: http://grrr.id.au/adc-hires/ second image.

Using the Hakko at ~350'C, ~650'F with 60/40 for this medium-fine work.

Trouble with these prototypes is changing components and rework can
cook the old rosin, but if it gets too dark I clean it off.

Not happening with new iron, but I had the old one for few years, and
that sticks in my memory.

Grant.
From: George Herold on
On Jul 23, 7:00 pm, Grant <o...(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:03:41 -0700 (PDT), George Herold <ggher...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks for that, I'm hand soldering prototypes on matrix card with
> >> 60/40 rosin core (Ersin multicore) and any rework usually burns the
> >> rosin, knowing it's not making unexpected resistors is good :)
>
> >> Grant.
>
> >This was a 'one of' experiment, your results at home may vary.
>
> Oh sure, it's the indication of trouble I was after.  I don't have a
> high range resistance meter here.  You found more trouble with water
> wash flux than with cooked rosin :)
>

> >It sounds like you need a temperature regulated soldering iron.  I've
> >got a Weller with temperature 'set point' tips.  The 700F with a sharp
> >tip works fine and never any burning.
>
> Yes, I know the Weller, used them for years, at work, sometimes at home,
> and I chose 700'F tips too.  I don't like that slight tip jump when the
> Weller's tip 'clicks' in sometimes at a critical part of work.  As well,
> they attract the iron based leads from some components, very annoying.
>
> Got a new Hakko FX-888 65W temperature controlled iron recently (couple
> weeks ago), still getting used to it.  Quite pleased with new iron so far.
>
> With the old soldering iron I had to turn temp up a bit to get heat
> flow, thus it was often too hot :(  Not enough metal in the tips, so
> temp regulation was poor.
>
> Here's a photo of latest project, some rosin is slightly cooked, none
> is black, nor even very dark:http://grrr.id.au/adc-hires/second image.
>
> Using the Hakko at ~350'C, ~650'F with 60/40 for this medium-fine work.
>
> Trouble with these prototypes is changing components and rework can
> cook the old rosin, but if it gets too dark I clean it off.
>
> Not happening with new iron, but I had the old one for few years, and
> that sticks in my memory.
>
> Grant.- Hide quoted text -

I'll was thinking I should post a picture of black icky. (Monday?)

George H.