From: Amy Vejar Amy on
When I "show all tasks" there are some line IDs missing. This always occurs
before a new major summary task, but not always. Sometimes it's one line
number other times it may be 20 or more. In every case it occurs just before
an "outdent." What causes this? Can I fix it? It makes my customers think
there are unshown tasks.
From: John on
In article <9C4E0457-2983-4AA7-A92E-BF35EE2B80BA(a)microsoft.com>,
Amy Vejar <Amy Vejar(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> When I "show all tasks" there are some line IDs missing. This always occurs
> before a new major summary task, but not always. Sometimes it's one line
> number other times it may be 20 or more. In every case it occurs just before
> an "outdent." What causes this? Can I fix it? It makes my customers think
> there are unshown tasks.

Amy,
The first thing that comes to mind is that the file has external
predecessors/successors and the option to show those as "ghost" tasks is
off (Tools/Options/View tab).

The second possibility is that the file is out of sort order. Try
sorting by ID.

The third possibility is that a filter is applied. I believe the "show
all tasks" should cancel the filter but I don't recall exactly and I
don't have Project open to actually try it.

The forth possibility is that you are not really looking at the ID
field. Perhaps you are really looking at the Unique ID field which may
have several cases of "missing" IDs.

The fifth possibility is that the file is corrupt, but normally
corruption won't manifest itself in this manner. However, if none of the
above reasons apply, you might try going to our MVP website at,
http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm, and trying one or more of the
suggestions under FAQ 43 - Handling Project file corruption and/or bloat.

Maybe others can offer additional suggestions. Hope this helps.

John
Project MVP