From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-02-2010 10:38, MartinC wrote:
> Wes Groleau wrote:
>>> To be precise... it is a bit-copy, as in "lossless". ;-)
>>
>> Is it really? Or is it as claimed, a different format alleged
>> to be lossless?
>
> There is so much nonsense about AAC on the net that I stopped keeping track
> a long time ago...

I never started keeping track. :-)

> It *is* lossless, meaning that each and every sample keeps exactly the same
> digital value that it got before. As a matter of fact, anything else would
> be incredibly stupid, because Apple Lossless files are typically some 2-3%
> larger than lossless FLAC files.

If the two are not the same size, then at least one of them
is NOT a "bit-copy" of the CD format the other poster asked about.

--
Wes Groleau

tprs along with some definitions and a brief history of fl teaching
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1307
From: Ian Gregory on
On 2010-08-02, MartinC <noreply(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> There is so much nonsense about AAC on the net that I stopped keeping track
> a long time ago...
>
> It *is* lossless,

No it isn't. AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) is a lossy compression and
encoding scheme for digital audio which has been standardised by ISO and
IEC as part of the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specifications. It is the default
iTunes format (songs sold through the iTunes store were AAC, protected
using the FairPlay DRM system).

You must be thinking of Apple Lossless, also known as Apple Lossless
Encoder (ALE) or Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALEC). This, as its name
suggests, is lossless.

If you want lossless compression on a Mac you are looking at ALE or
FLAC. If you want smaller file sizes then you need to go to a lossy
scheme such as AAC or MP3.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/
From: MartinC on
Wes Groleau wrote:

>> If the two are not the same size, then at least one of them
> is NOT a "bit-copy" of the CD format the other poster asked about.

Nope, because both Apple Lossless and FLAC are *compressed* formats, but the
algorithms are different, and FLAC seems to be a bit better.

It's like stuffing the same file into one ZIP and one RAR archive - both are
lossless, but typically not the same compressed size.

From: MartinC on
Ian Gregory wrote:

> You must be thinking of Apple Lossless, also known as Apple Lossless
> Encoder (ALE) or Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALEC). This, as its name
> suggests, is lossless.

Sorry, slight mistake of mine, since *both* AAC and AL share the same file
extension .m4a

I wanted to write "...nonsense about .m4a" and switched it with AAC.

It was an odd decision by Apple to use the same name, I guess a lot of the
wrong information on the net actually origins from the fact that Apple
Lossless files are named "something.m4a" and people then think that it must
be lossy AAC.

Having said that - are you sure that ALE isn't just a lossless "dialect"
from the AAC zoo? I think most devices playing back AAC are accepting
ALE-in-m4a just as well, so my guess is that it is (technically) just an
alternative compression algorithm that will not destroy data.

From: Ian Gregory on
On 2010-08-02, Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> If the two are not the same size, then at least one of them
> is NOT a "bit-copy" of the CD format the other poster asked about.

Surely a "bit-copy" of the CD format *is* CD format.

What was being discussed were competing lossless audio codecs such as
ALEC or FLAC. In essence, with a lossless codec you can take an audio
file, compress it to produce a smaller file, then decompress that and
recover exactly the original file. With a lossy codec you generally get
a smaller compressed file but can never recover the original file, only
something that sounds nearly the same.

So given that all lossless codecs can recover exactly the original file
what is to choose between them? Compression ratio and processing power
required to compress and decompress. You could use a general purpose
compression algorithm such as gzip to compress audio files but one
designed specifically for audio should generally give higher compression
ratios (though not of course as high as lossy audio codecs).

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/