From: Figaro on
Hey you Apple geniuses-

(1) Is there any way to do secondary/tertiary/etc sorting in iTunes
(eg. first by composer, then by album title, then by year, etc...)?

(2) I imported a bunch of old MP3 podcasts into iTunes library.
Currently they're scattered all over the place next to my regular
music albums. Is there a way to organize these loose files into
custom albums? (like creating a new album & moving files into it.)

(3) When you convert a file into a new format (eg. WAV to mp3) in
iTunes, the new files appear side by side with the old files. Is it
possible save the new files in a separate location or library?

(4) I am a hi-fi aficionado and import all my old CDs into apple
lossless files. I am told this format is virtually indistinguishable
from CD quality source material. My question is -- how is the
*output* signal quality from an iPod/iPhones/etc. to my Very-High-End
home stereo system? I hear the quality is somewhat less than CD
quality.

I don't have an iPod yet, but if above is true, I would rather hook up
an iTunes-playing laptop to my stereo system and get full CD quality
sound.

Thanks for your help!

From: MartinC on
Figaro wrote:

> (4) I am a hi-fi aficionado and import all my old CDs into apple
> lossless files. I am told this format is virtually indistinguishable
> from CD quality source material.

To be precise... it is a bit-copy, as in "lossless". ;-)

From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-01-2010 22:34, Figaro wrote:
> (1) Is there any way to do secondary/tertiary/etc sorting in iTunes
> (eg. first by composer, then by album title, then by year, etc...)?

No guarantees, but try this:

Sort by year
Sort again by album
Sort again by composer

Many programs with similar sort controls will preserve the previous
order within sections where the current sort field is identical.

--
Wes Groleau

Standards—a parable
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=145
From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-02-2010 02:55, MartinC wrote:
> Figaro wrote:
>> (4) I am a hi-fi aficionado and import all my old CDs into apple
>> lossless files. I am told this format is virtually indistinguishable
>> from CD quality source material.
>
> To be precise... it is a bit-copy, as in "lossless". ;-)

Is it really? Or is it as claimed, a different format alleged
to be lossless?

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."
From: MartinC on
Wes Groleau wrote:

>> To be precise... it is a bit-copy, as in "lossless". ;-)
>
> Is it really? Or is it as claimed, a different format alleged
> to be lossless?

There is so much nonsense about AAC on the net that I stopped keeping track
a long time ago...

It *is* lossless, meaning that each and every sample keeps exactly the same
digital value that it got before. As a matter of fact, anything else would
be incredibly stupid, because Apple Lossless files are typically some 2-3%
larger than lossless FLAC files.

So if you want to have maximum lossless compression, better use FLAC (which
is only weakly supported by QT and iTunes), but there is absolutely no
difference in matters of sound quality.