From: Aragorn on
On Friday 11 September 2009 04:29, someone identifying as *terryc* wrote
in /comp.os.linux.setup:/

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:13:23 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>
>> Lukasz Matuszewski <matuszewski.lukasz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> F. execute desired program step by step (debug him)
>
> buggered if I know

man strace

>> G. Do your homework for you.
>
> These may or may not be correct {:-)

It is obviously a homework assignment. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Andrew Halliwell on
Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Friday 11 September 2009 04:29, someone identifying as *terryc* wrote
> in /comp.os.linux.setup:/

>> buggered if I know
>
> man strace

That doesn't do single step does it?
the actual program sounds like some kind of gnu database if you just look at
the name...

Not saying what it is though, cos I'm not answering any of his questions....
no matter how indirectly.
--
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
From: Aragorn on
On Friday 11 September 2009 15:26, someone identifying as *Andrew
Halliwell* wrote in /comp.os.linux.setup:/

> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>> On Friday 11 September 2009 04:29, someone identifying as *terryc*
>> wrote in /comp.os.linux.setup:/

>>> buggered if I know
>>
>> man strace
>
> That doesn't do single step does it?

Not step by step, no... I wouldn't know what does, actually.
However, /strace/ does at least give an overview of all operations a
program does.

> the actual program sounds like some kind of gnu database if you just
> look at the name...
>
> Not saying what it is though, cos I'm not answering any of his
> questions.... no matter how indirectly.

Well, I am always willing to help, but indeed, I am not willing to do
someone's homework for them. How are they hoping to actually learn
something if they're going to be so cheapskate as to ask for the
answers on Usenet? ;-)

From: terryc on
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:17:44 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> On Friday 11 September 2009 04:29, someone identifying as *terryc* wrote
> in /comp.os.linux.setup:/

>> buggered if I know
>
> man strace
>
>>> G. Do your homework for you.
>>
>> These may or may not be correct {:-)
>
> It is obviously a homework assignment. ;-)

I know. {:-), but I wouldn't mark my answers right. He needs to man each
and provide a decent example.

From: Doug Freyburger on
Aragorn wrote:
> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>
>> That doesn't do single step does it?
>
> Not step by step, no... I wouldn't know what does, actually.

The best single stepping debugger I've ever seen was the
one that came with IRIX from SGI. It could step through
programs one line of C at a time, displaying the line in
a separate window. There are very good developer tools
out there.