From: Lukasz Matuszewski on
Write commands, which are able to do following from shell level:
A. send a signal to desired process
B. find files which names are matched to desired pattern
C. find files whos contents are matched to desired pattern
D. cut a range of characters from every line
E. view last N lines from desired file
F. execute desired program step by step (debug him)

File access.log from server www has reached allowed size for file
system.
1. How to set file size to 0 using shell command.
2. Write a script in whatever language ( perl, bash itp. ) checking
once a day size of the access.log file and in a circumstance that he
reached its maximum capacity ( eg 2 GB) he will set size of the file
to 0 in the simples case command - it is allowed to use cron but with
telling the how to registry it/how to run it.

III. What command with changing settings in policies GPO on domain
controller, we can force to refresh rules ?

Waiting for quick and wholetelling reply...thanks in advance.
From: Florian Diesch on
Lukasz Matuszewski <matuszewski.lukasz(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Write commands, which are able to do following from shell level:
> A. send a signal to desired process

kill

> B. find files which names are matched to desired pattern

find

> C. find files whos contents are matched to desired pattern

grep

> D. cut a range of characters from every line

cut

> E. view last N lines from desired file

tail

> F. execute desired program step by step (debug him)

gdb

> File access.log from server www has reached allowed size for file
> system.
> 1. How to set file size to 0 using shell command.

cat /dev/null > access.log

> 2. Write a script in whatever language ( perl, bash itp. ) checking
> once a day size of the access.log file and in a circumstance that he
> reached its maximum capacity ( eg 2 GB) he will set size of the file
> to 0 in the simples case command - it is allowed to use cron but with
> telling the how to registry it/how to run it.

logrotate

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
From: Bill Marcum on
On 2009-09-04, Lukasz Matuszewski <matuszewski.lukasz(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Write commands, which are able to do following from shell level:
> A. send a signal to desired process
> B. find files which names are matched to desired pattern
> C. find files whos contents are matched to desired pattern

Don't ask the net to do your homework. Try to find the answers on your own
and come back if you need help.

From: Moe Trin on
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
<a5919921-fe30-4b94-9ed4-c583cb6002f8(a)g19g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
Lukasz Matuszewski wrote:

>Write commands, which are able to do following from shell level:

When is the homework due? Why are you posting here instead of doing
the homework yourself?

>A. send a signal to desired process

[compton ~]$ whatis apropos whatis
apropos (1) - search the whatis database for strings
whatis (1) - search the whatis database for complete words
[compton ~]$ apropos signal | wc -l
43
[compton ~]$

>B. find files which names are matched to desired pattern
^^^^

>C. find files whos contents are matched to desired pattern

[compton ~]$ apropos pattern | wc -l
35
[compton ~]$

>D. cut a range of characters from every line
^^^

and so on. If you have to ask for help with questions like this, you
should not be taking the class - you are not paying attention to the
teacher, or the teacher is not presenting the material in a manor
suitable to your lack of skills. It's also sad that you are mis-using
a search engine to _post_ rather that using it to find the answers on
your own... like at http://tldp.org/guides.html

Old guy
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Sep 4, 8:26 am, Lukasz Matuszewski <matuszewski.luk...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> Waiting for quick and wholetelling reply...thanks in advance.

That's nice. What text are you using for your notes? And have you
learned about the "man" command, and "info", for looking up
documentation?