From: ever90321 on
On Jun 2, 2:35 am, Mike S <ms...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 6/1/2010 1:54 PM, ever90...(a)mypacks.net wrote:
>

> > On May 27, 8:35 pm, mscir<msciro...(a)gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> On May 27, 10:51 am, ever90...(a)mypacks.net wrote:
>
> >> Here's the reply from James, who released the Cool Toys sort program:
>
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> From: James (Cool Toys)<ja...(a)cooltoys.org.uk>
> >> Subject: Re: Cool Toys - Contact Form - would you mind making the
> >> source code available
> >> To: "Mike Scirocco"<ms...(a)yahoo.com>
> >> Date: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 12:41 PM
>
> >> Hi Mike,
>
> >> The Menu Sorter utility is a bit crude really, as all it does it
> >> delete
> >> everything under this registry key:
>
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
> >> \MenuOrder
>
> >> Which is what Windows uses to store the sort order - I seem to
> >> remember
> >> Windows doesn't re-read the values from the registry all of the time
> >> though, i.e. rebooting may be necessary for the changes to be picked-
> >> up.
>
> >> Hope that helps
>
> >> James
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> >> Is this an approach you want to try, and if so do you require a VB
> >> program to accomplish it?
>
> >> Mike
>
> > Hey, James sent me a copy of that email as well.  But unfortunately I
> > was trying that days before I posted here, and it doesn't work.  At
> > least it doesn't work instantly, like clicking "Sort" or "Sort by
> > name" within Windows XP, which is what I'm trying to do.  I forget
> > which board it came from, but someone else suggested
> >http://www.lujosoft.net/_content/_utilities/AutoSortMenu.html.  This
> > seems like a further step backward, though, because not only does it
> > not work instantly, but as a .NET program it requires an outright
> > installation, and I'm trying to stay within a small footprint.  I do
> > want to contact the LuJuSoft guy, in case he has any ideas.
>
> > To recap, the problem is that while Windows probably also deletes the
> > \Menu or \Menu2 key in the registry, it likely triggers an instant
> > rebuild of the key, which is otherwise requires by a reboot.  I'm
> > looking for the API to do that without rebooting, if it's even
> > possible. I'll post again the next time I have news.
>
> > Thanks!
> > Todd
>
> Have you seen this:
>
> http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1691.html
>
> using a batch file.
>
> Mike

Yes, I did come across that earlier, or something similar. I
originally wanted to avoid a full sort routine, as I wasn't sure it
how it would work on later OS's, or if it would run into any
permission issues...but then I never read the whole article. At this
point, I should probably have another look. :)

Todd