From: Bill Baka on
On 02/15/2010 01:09 AM, jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
> software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
> issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>
> Thanks very much...
>
> John

For what it's worth I tried to set up a dual boot (xp and 7) on a drive
I had to put in as the primary master, and then moved it to the
secondary slave. I am running Linux on the primary master and windows
would not install because the file system was not NTFS. My BIOS allows
me to pick the boot drive when I hit an 'F8'. When I select the windows
drive 100GB for XP and 150GB for 7 it goes into a selection screen and
just calls XP some other operating system. 7 works just fine, but XP
hangs with the message that it can't find hal.dll. I even got the CD for
XP and manually inserted hal.dll but it is still dead.
As for compatibility issues, my HP scanner software tells me it is
incompatible with Windows 7, and their web site has no updates.
Just for clarity;
I have an ASUS K8N MOBO with 2.25GB of RAM which works very well with my
Linux. I need XP for certain things and I don't like Windows 7 but it is
the only one that will boot.
Virtual box is out since I tried to run both XP and 7 as guests under
the Linux (Ubuntu) and had no connection to the scanner or printer.
Any Ideas???
Bill Baka
From: Bill Baka on
On 02/15/2010 01:09 AM, jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
> software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
> issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>
> Thanks very much...
>
> John

For what it's worth I have an H.P. scanjet 4890 photo scanner
(negatives) that tells me it is not compatible with "This version" of
windows. It does work fine in XP though, and HP is not updating the
software, as if I would buy anything from them again, no support.
Windows 7 does have a built in driver for the scanner itself but HP
seems to think that by not supporting the scanjet I will run out and buy
another. Never gonna happen.
Bill Baka