From: Smirnoff on
I had already used the Avast! complete removal tool prior to installing MSE.
That was why I couldn't understand why it still appeared in Program Events.

Obviously it is not a COMPLETE removal tool because it left behind registry
entries for Sound and Audio Devices.

Although I wasn't keen to mess with the registry, I decided to follow Elmo's
advice and deleted the key at:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]

Obviously I backed up before deletion.

Avast! has now been removed from Program Events.

Thanks for your help.