From: Leo on
Someone brought up the topic of them using a source compatible vb6
clone on the msnews servers. Would it be pheasible to create a vb6 to
vc++6 converter? I read that the vb6 compiler does something similar. I
am not saying I could write such a converter/compiler, but would anyone
be interested in using souch a compiler.

From: Bob Butler on

"Leo" <ttdhead(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Someone brought up the topic of them using a source compatible vb6 clone
> on the msnews servers. Would it be pheasible to create a vb6 to vc++6
> converter? I read that the vb6 compiler does something similar. I am not
> saying I could write such a converter/compiler, but would anyone be
> interested in using souch a compiler.

But if I wanted to code in VC++ then I'd be using that. IMO that's even
less fun than C#.

From: Dee Earley on
On 07/05/2010 14:21, Leo wrote:
> Someone brought up the topic of them using a source compatible vb6 clone
> on the msnews servers. Would it be pheasible to create a vb6 to vc++6
> converter? I read that the vb6 compiler does something similar. I am not
> saying I could write such a converter/compiler, but would anyone be
> interested in using souch a compiler.

C++ is a very different environment and things (IMO) would be written
differently if it was the original language (libraries, threading, etc).
While a straight conversion may be possible, I don't see it as efficient
or really practical.
The same applies when converting to .NET.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Auric__ on
On Fri, 07 May 2010 13:21:50 GMT, Leo wrote:

> Someone brought up the topic of them using a source compatible vb6
> clone on the msnews servers. Would it be pheasible to create a vb6 to
> vc++6 converter? I read that the vb6 compiler does something similar. I
> am not saying I could write such a converter/compiler, but would anyone
> be interested in using souch a compiler.

There are numerous attempts to do so, here and there. One that comes to mind
is Franck Charlet's VBToCpp:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6tovc6/

He's not very happy with it, but it does work to some degree (although not
prefectly, by any stretch of the imagination).

I also have one going (under my real name, so no link, sorry), but it's not
translating anything yet.

As already pointed out, a program written with such a translator would
probably produce terribly inefficient C or C++ code.

--
Forget AIDs, they need to work on a cure for stupid.