From: Bob Smith on
Hi

I have a SparkFun Spartan3e development board which uses an ATMEL
AT45DB161D serial SPI flash for configuration. Here is a photo:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/images/Spartan3EEvalBoard-01-L.jpg

I can program the FPGA using JTAG but can not figure out how to get
ISE to program the SPI flash. All my attempts end with "Program
Failed" messages. SparkFun has a utility to do this but they did
not include direction on how to install and use the utility. Also
this _should_ work from ISE, right?

Is anyone using this board?
Any pointers on generating a .mcs file?
Any pointers on how to program the SPI flash?

The Verilog project is just the four bit counter in the Xilinx
tutorial.

thanks in advance
Bob Smith
From: John_H on
Bob Smith wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a SparkFun Spartan3e development board which uses an ATMEL
> AT45DB161D serial SPI flash for configuration. Here is a photo:
> http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/images/Spartan3EEvalBoard-01-L.jpg
>
> I can program the FPGA using JTAG but can not figure out how to get
> ISE to program the SPI flash. All my attempts end with "Program
> Failed" messages. SparkFun has a utility to do this but they did
> not include direction on how to install and use the utility. Also
> this _should_ work from ISE, right?
>

> Is anyone using this board?
> Any pointers on generating a .mcs file?
> Any pointers on how to program the SPI flash?
>
> The Verilog project is just the four bit counter in the Xilinx
> tutorial.
>
> thanks in advance
> Bob Smith

I didn't think the SPI had a native link from the Xilinx tools. See
(for example) the SPI programming designs for the Xilinx Spartan3E
starter kit.

Look for "SPI" on the page:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/s3estarter/reference_designs.htm

- John_H
From: John Adair on
Usually there are either 2 seperate headers for JTAG and SPI
programming or 1 header with a signal switch. Looking at the photo on
your link there appear to be 2 headers with JTAG signals but with
different pin layouts so these may be the 2 headers. Look up Xilinx
XAPP455 for more information on the wiring aspect of using JTAG
headers for SPI programming.

There is SPI programming support, in the Impact part of ISE, in the
last few versions of ISE. It is a seperate menu option from the
boundary scan option.

Once you find the option ensure the prom selection matches exactly
your SPI device otherwise you will get errors. Your may also need to
hold Prog_B low whilst programming the SPI to avoid drive conflicts.
If you have a Parallel Cable III look-alike be careful of using
extension cables. Often these cause issues.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Drigmorn1. The Low Cost FPGA Development
Board.

From: Ben Jackson on
On 2008-01-20, Bob Smith <usenet(a)linuxtoys.org> wrote:

> I can program the FPGA using JTAG but can not figure out how to get
> ISE to program the SPI flash.

The Xilinx config parts have JTAG, so I don't think I've ever tried
to use Impact directly.

There is a sample picoblaze system that programs SPI flash devices,
though.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben(a)ben.com>