From: Sportryder on
Hey All..........I'm running Quicken Premier 2008, R9 on Win7.

For some reason I'm having trouble with some of my mutual fund accounts
and not being able to select specific lots/shares when I'm entering a
sale. The Specific Lots button is grayed out. This isn't true for all of
my mutual fund accounts, but I'm seeing it on a few.

At the same time, on the Overview page for the account, the Holdings
window will only display the total gains, losses, basis for the entire set
of security shares held, and doesn't expand to indicate that information
on a per lot basis. Needless to say, this is proving to be a total
headache since I like to specify my lots for sales.

Like I said, I have other accounts where I'm able to select specific lots
without problems, bit I've also got more than a couple accounts where I'm
having this problem, and it's driving me nuts!

There are a lot of smart cookies on this list so I'm sure someone else has
encountered this. How can I get these accounts to allow me to view and
select specific lots???? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.......Mike

-------------------------------------

Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
Tax and Accounting Software Forums
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 20751 messages and counting!
From: Sportryder on
Sportryder had written this in response to
http://www.rockryno.com/quicken/Specific-Lots-Shares-at-Sale-Problem-21361-.htm
:
Oh ya, I forgot to mention. This is happening even in accounts when I've
not ever had a sale! How come Quicken is treating these accounts as an
"average" cost basis acct? In fact I have no idea how to designate the
acct between specific or average ??? ........ Mike

-------------------------------------
Sportryder wrote:

> Hey All..........I'm running Quicken Premier 2008, R9 on Win7.

> For some reason I'm having trouble with some of my mutual fund accounts
> and not being able to select specific lots/shares when I'm entering a
> sale. The Specific Lots button is grayed out. This isn't true for all
> of
> my mutual fund accounts, but I'm seeing it on a few.

> At the same time, on the Overview page for the account, the Holdings
> window will only display the total gains, losses, basis for the entire
> set
> of security shares held, and doesn't expand to indicate that
> information
> on a per lot basis. Needless to say, this is proving to be a total
> headache since I like to specify my lots for sales.

> Like I said, I have other accounts where I'm able to select specific
> lots
> without problems, bit I've also got more than a couple accounts where
> I'm
> having this problem, and it's driving me nuts!

> There are a lot of smart cookies on this list so I'm sure someone else
> has
> encountered this. How can I get these accounts to allow me to view and
> select specific lots???? Any help would be much appreciated.

> Thanks.......Mike

> -------------------------------------

> ##-----------------------------------------------##
> Newsgroup Access Courtesy
> http://www.rockryno.com/
> Tax and Accounting Software Forums
> Web and RSS access
> to your favorite newsgroup -
> alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 20751
> messages and counting!
> ##-----------------------------------------------##

Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
Tax and Accounting Software Forums
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 20753 messages and counting!
From: Oilcan on
Edit the Security Details for the Mutual Fund and uncheck "Use Average
Cost".

Posted At: Friday, February 19, 2010 3:59 PM
Posted To: alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
Conversation: Specific Lots/Shares at Sale Problem
Subject: Re: Specific Lots/Shares at Sale Problem

From: Zaidy036 on
In article <C83218146CBB411F9EA9AF805AADD3D0(a)AnthonyPC>,
oilcan(a)nospam.net says...

> Edit the Security Details for the Mutual Fund and uncheck "Use Average
> Cost".

Just watch out - the IRS does not let you change between Average & Lot
if used once in the past.
From: Sportryder on
Sportryder had written this in response to
http://www.rockryno.com/quicken/Re-Specific-Lots-Shares-at-Sale-Problem-21368-.htm
:
Hey all.......thanks.

Yep, I found the designation box on the Security edit view. Now I
remember I had to do that before with some of my other securities.

I THINK that when Quicken automatically sets up a new security it by
default designates "average" cost basis. This to me seems weird that cost
basis would be decided on the security level and not the account level,
e.g. two accounts (say taxable and IRA) with the same security. Hmm,
maybe I'd like to treat the two accts differently???

And yes, thanks Zaidy, consistency is key when it comes to the IRS. Fully
understand and appreciate.

Zaidy036 wrote:

snip

> Just watch out - the IRS does not let you change between Average &
> Lot
> if used once in the past.

Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
Tax and Accounting Software Forums
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 20766 messages and counting!