From: zigzagdna on
I am Oracle 11g 11.1 on HP UNIX 11i. I see Oracle provides invPtrLoc
in some command such as runIntaller and Opatch.
-invPtrLoc $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/oraInst.loc

However when I go to run emca to configure db control it does not
recognize this parameter. I know using symbolic links one can get
around it, but symbolic link requires Sys Admin help. Is there any
other work around for it. I was looking for a UNIX environment
variable, could not find one.
From: Sybrand Bakker on
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:37:35 -0800 (PST), zigzagdna
<zigzagdna(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am Oracle 11g 11.1 on HP UNIX 11i. I see Oracle provides invPtrLoc
>in some command such as runIntaller and Opatch.
>-invPtrLoc $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/oraInst.loc
>
>However when I go to run emca to configure db control it does not
>recognize this parameter. I know using symbolic links one can get
>around it, but symbolic link requires Sys Admin help. Is there any
>other work around for it. I was looking for a UNIX environment
>variable, could not find one.

Is there any reason you multipost this on both forums.oracle.com and
this newsgroup?
Wouldn't it be quicker to read documentation and/or the emca cript and
toirecognize emca doesn't use the inventory at all?
Or do you really like to earn as much as possible by doing as little
as possible?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
From: zigzagdna on
On Jan 13, 5:22 pm, Sybrand Bakker <sybra...(a)hccnet.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:37:35 -0800 (PST), zigzagdna
>
> <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I am Oracle 11g 11.1 on HP UNIX 11i. I see Oracle provides invPtrLoc
> >in some command such as runIntaller and Opatch.
> >-invPtrLoc $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/oraInst.loc
>
> >However when I go to run emca to configure db control it does not
> >recognize this parameter. I know using symbolic links one can get
> >around it, but symbolic link requires Sys Admin help. Is there any
> >other work around for it. I was looking for a UNIX environment
> >variable, could not find one.
>
> Is there any reason you multipost this on both forums.oracle.com and
> this newsgroup?
> Wouldn't it be quicker to read documentation and/or the emca cript and
> toirecognize emca doesn't use the inventory at all?
> Or do you really like to earn as much as possible by doing as little
> as possible?
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

emca logs shows eoor that inventory cannot/etc/orainSt.log or so be
found, so not sure whether it uses it or not.
From: The Boss on
zigzagdna wrote:
> On Jan 13, 5:22 pm, Sybrand Bakker <sybra...(a)hccnet.nl> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:37:35 -0800 (PST), zigzagdna
>>
>> <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I am Oracle 11g 11.1 on HP UNIX 11i. I see Oracle provides invPtrLoc
>>> in some command such as runIntaller and Opatch.
>>> -invPtrLoc $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/oraInst.loc
>>
>>> However when I go to run emca to configure db control it does not
>>> recognize this parameter. I know using symbolic links one can get
>>> around it, but symbolic link requires Sys Admin help. Is there any
>>> other work around for it. I was looking for a UNIX environment
>>> variable, could not find one.
>>
>> Is there any reason you multipost this on both forums.oracle.com and
>> this newsgroup?
>> Wouldn't it be quicker to read documentation and/or the emca cript
>> and toirecognize emca doesn't use the inventory at all?
>> Or do you really like to earn as much as possible by doing as little
>> as possible?
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> emca logs shows eoor that inventory cannot/etc/orainSt.log or so be
> found, so not sure whether it uses it or not.

Are you sure you are on HPUX, not on Linux?
According the respective Installation Guides, HPUX uses /var/opt/oracle to
store the Oracle inventory pointer file (oraInst.loc), while Linux uses /etc
to do the same.
HPUX:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32072/app_nonint.htm#CIHGCBHA
Linux:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32002/app_nonint.htm#CIHGCBHA

(In the Linux version, the first mkdir-command seems a bit odd to me;
probably an error in the doc)

A similar but different workaround is described at the Pythian Blog,
describing an 11g install on Ubuntu:
http://www.pythian.com/news/549/installing-oracle-11g-on-ubuntu-linux-704/
(search for the comment made by "Alberto Tagliaferri")

Cheers!

--
Jeroen

From: zigzagdna on
On Jan 13, 7:49 pm, "The Boss" <use...(a)No.Spam.Please.invalid> wrote:
> zigzagdna wrote:
> > On Jan 13, 5:22 pm, Sybrand Bakker <sybra...(a)hccnet.nl> wrote:

> >> Is there any reason you multipost this on both forums.oracle.com and
> >> this newsgroup?
> >> Wouldn't it be quicker to read documentation and/or the emca cript
> >> and toirecognize emca doesn't use the inventory at all?
> >> Or do you really like to earn as much as possible by doing as little
> >> as possible?
>
> >> --
> >> Sybrand Bakker
> >> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> > emca logs  shows  eoor that inventory cannot/etc/orainSt.log or so  be
> > found, so not sure whether it uses it or not.
>
> Are you sure you are on HPUX, not on Linux?
> According the respective Installation Guides, HPUX uses /var/opt/oracle to
> store the Oracle inventory pointer file (oraInst.loc), while Linux uses /etc
> to do the same.
> HPUX:http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32072/app_n...
> Linux:http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32002/app_n...
>
> (In the Linux version, the first mkdir-command seems a bit odd to me;
> probably an error in the doc)
>
> A similar but different workaround is described at the Pythian Blog,
> describing an 11g install on Ubuntu:http://www.pythian.com/news/549/installing-oracle-11g-on-ubuntu-linux...
> (search for the comment made by "Alberto Tagliaferri")
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Jeroen- Hide quoted text -

I am on HPO-U and directory for inventory is /var/opt/oracle. Since I
do not keep inventory here, I got mixed up.

It seems despite the error message in emconfig.log for inventory, db
control does get created because it is working for me.