From: Koobee Wublee on

"Sam Wormley" <swormley1(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message

> Empirical data says that the speed of light is the same for all
> observers [...]

No, empirical data says the speed of light in vacuum of any frame is
observed to be exactly the same as observer's own. If not, we will have
very serious problems. So, an observer can observe a different value of the
speed of light than another observer.

From: Nick on
No. The speed of light is constant for all inertial frames -
those frames without acceleration.

It is as if matter's motion through space doesn't count.
Its as if constant motion is no motion through space
at all with regards to light. As if matter is still.

Introduce acceleration and the speed of light can vary.
Mitch

From: Bilge on
macromitch(a)internetCDS.com:
>What if time moves at the speed of light
>and you can catch up to it by accelerating in
>space?

What if you weren't brain dead?

From: glbrad01 on

"Nick" <macromitch(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> No. The speed of light is constant for all inertial frames -
> those frames without acceleration.
>
> It is as if matter's motion through space doesn't count.
> Its as if constant motion is no motion through space
> at all with regards to light. As if matter is still.
>
> Introduce acceleration and the speed of light can vary.
> Mitch

Under constant boost at 1-g and traveling more or less in a straight line
in outer space a traveler will measure the speed of light to be the same as
he would measure it under the same local conditions on the surface of the
Earth. If he isn't locally trying to get relative to some other body in
space there is no chance, no possibility, he could know what his velocity
is. He could travel out of the galaxy under constant acceleration of 1-g and
still he would measure the speed of light to be "c" under the given
conditions for measuring it "c." HE HASN'T ANY REFERENCE FRAME FOR TELLING
(FOR MEASURING) ANYWHERE NEAR PRECISELY HIS OWN VELOCITY! None whatsoever.
The speed of light will be one horizon that stays constant to him.

As his entire external coordinate system will be a matter of histories (
an apparent matter of time travel (apparent to him as the traveler)) and not
space, the speed of light will not change regarding the remote outside of
the local either. Regarding the same though, he would probably notice--he
will more than likely notice--alterations occurring in the shifts of light
in the remote distances even as he notices no change occurring regarding the
velocity of light locally.

The velocity of light is independent of all other velocities. It is a
constant distant horizon that stays that constant distance (given the local
conditions always listed for that constancy such as "in a vacuum"). The
shift is another matter entirely. A dependent matter. A traveler in the
Universe traveling through "histories" to some there and now, wherever
"there and now" might be, manipulates that dependency...getting himself
'inversely proportional' in the picture, so to speak, to some unitary
celestial body (a planet, a solar system, a galaxy, or even--potentially--a
universe). The traveler will always deal in space-times and relativity to
some [magnitude] or another of the same (celestial body: planet, solar
system, galaxy, universe, universe of universes, and so on). He will never
deal in the speed of light because he will never get closer to it than
measuring it the constant it is. Even in various mediums that force the
speed of light to appear to change, to slow, whatever, it is the quality of
the medium one is dealing in really, not the intrinsic velocity of light
which if one could measure it proceeding through any length of vacuum--no
matter how subatomically short or small that length--within whatever that
medium, one would measure light's velocity "c". No matter the acceleration
per second per second, at all 'velocities' within all accelerations in
velocity the velocity of light affirms its independent constancy regarding
any and all of those velocities. Accelerating changing (an object
accelerating up through gravities of acceleration that is) in wavelength and
frequency though should tend to cause shattering....

In the end you can't isolate the constant. You can't discuss the
invariable constant in isolation from the variables of wavelength and
frequency. Altogether the indivisibility of the three factors deal in the
physics of proportionality and relativity, specifically "inverse
proportionality" as it applies to more than just one item of physicality. In
the fantasy world of elegant mathematical games, you can isolate the speed
of light. In the real world Universe the three factors come as an
inseparable package deal, all at once or none at all (all or none). Then you
have to picture what that means regarding physicality and all observation of
it.

Gen

"You made a mistake, she didn't want to see me."
"I make many mistakes."
(The Big Sleep)

From: Stan Byers on
Also posted on sci.astro:

I believe all of the data and citations that are required to prove or
disprove Roemer's 1003 second delay are available at the web site.
If light remained constant regardless of observers speed there would not be
a delay.
Even if I was familiar with the physics of the Optical gyro, I would not try
to argue this issue with that knowledge,.. when the solar system
demonstration by the moon Io is available. Most everyone understands the
solar system, and I don't know anyone that understands the Optical
gyro,..except you George. ;-) If anyone can disprove the 1003 second delay
with Io data, I promise to try to educate myself about the workings of the
Optical gyro.

George wrote:
>Since the fact that these devices work at all means
> your hypothesis cannot be true, you really should
> find out a bit more about them.

I don't understand why readers call the results obtained from empirical data
a "hypothesis". I am just the messenger, it wont help to shoot the
messenger. The solar system will still provide the same demonstration. If
you can't change the empirical demonstration, you are forced to change the
postulate. The exact eclipse data used to generate the graphs that show the
period changes resulting from Earth's relative motion is available to
everyone. If any readers can produce with specificity, graphs or logic
that will dispute or correct the 1003 second delay and conclusion, I will be
more than happy to review them in specific detail.

The only fact that has to be recognized to prove that light speed is not
constant to all observers is the "1003 second delay" as observed by Roemer.
That fact establishes that light from Jupiter travels on a radial from
Jupiter at " C " in relation to Jupiter. Since Earth has a changing orbital
velocity on a radial from Jupiter, there is a relative velocity between
Earth and the light train which is not C. If there exists a delay or advance
in the eclipse event timing,... it is "not possible" for the light speed in
space to be constant in relation to Earth.
a.. The 1003 second delay is a change in observed period.
b.. A change in observed period is a Doppler effect.
c.. A Doppler effect results from a change in observed speed.
d.. A change in observed speed indicates that light speed in not constant
for all observers.

The fact that Doppler effects are utilized between Earth and spacecraft is a
sure indication that EM radiation maintains C in relation to the source and
not the observer. When the carrier frequency of a spacecraft is known and a
Doppler shift or a change in a Doppler shift is observed how is it possible
to assume that the "free space speed" did not change in relation to the
observer.

In the following quote concerning Nasa's Titan data test it is seen that the
carrier frequency and the digital data frequency displayed a Doppler effect.
If that same transmitter was parked on Jupiter's north pole you would see a
repeat of Roemer's data during Earth's orbital trip. In one case you have a
light train modulated by eclipse events, and in the radio case you have a
radio carrier modulated by digital data. You cannot separate the speed and
timing of the modulation from the speed of the carrier.

QUOTE: Because of Doppler shift, the frequency at which bits would be
arriving from Huygens would be significantly different from the nominal data
rate of 8192 bits per second. As the radio wave from the lander was
compressed by Doppler shift, the data rate would increase as the length of
each bit was reduced UNQUOTE

The frequency and period of Io's eclipse events displays the Doppler effect
in direct proportion to the relative motion between the Earth and Jupiter,
therefore the light train speed as observed on Earth changes at the same
rate.

Cheers, Stan Byers

http://home.netcom.com/~sbyers11/litespd_vs_sr.htm