From: robert j. kolker on

kenseto wrote:
>> Nobody else even uses the term "universal time".
>

> So what?? Everybody knows what the term universal time means.

Really? Everytime you use it, I think you ought to say proper time which
is the term used in the literature (the real peer review literature,
that is). There is no evidence that a Master Clock exists and all other
clocks are slaved to it. In fact the hypothesis of a Master Clock has
been thoroughly falsified.

Bob Kolker
From: robert j. kolker on

kenseto wrote:

> That's becasue you failed to recognize that Doppler shift is due to varying
> speed of light.

The speed of light in vacuo relative to any inertial frame is a well
measured constant. It has been shown experimentally again and again and
has yet to be falsified. The speed of light in vacuo is independent of
th motion of the source or the observer.

Bob Kolker
From: kenseto on

"robert j. kolker" <nowhere(a)nowhere.net> wrote in message

> kenseto wrote:
>
> > That's becasue you failed to recognize that Doppler shift is due to
varying
> > speed of light.
>
> The speed of light in vacuo relative to any inertial frame is a well
> measured constant. It has been shown experimentally again and again and
> has yet to be falsified. The speed of light in vacuo is independent of
> th motion of the source or the observer.

The speed of light is measured to be constant because we arbitrarily assumed
that the Doppler shift is due to wave length change. If wave length is
assumed to be contant then the speed of light is different from different
sources.

Ken Seto

From: kenseto on

> kenseto wrote:
> >> Nobody else even uses the term "universal time".
> >

> > So what?? Everybody knows what the term universal time means.
>
> Really? Everytime you use it, I think you ought to say proper time which
> is the term used in the literature (the real peer review literature,
> that is).

Proper time is not the same as universal time. A proper second will measure
the speed of light to be c in all inertial frames. Whereas a defined
universal second (or defined absolute second) will not measure the speed of
light to be c in all frames. BTW, a defined universal second will have the
same duration (time content) in all frames whereas a proper second will have
different duration (time content) in different frames.

>There is no evidence that a Master Clock exists and all other
> clocks are slaved to it. In fact the hypothesis of a Master Clock has
> been thoroughly falsified.

There is no physical clock (Master clock) that runs at the same rate of
passage of universal time (absolute time or duration) in different frames.
However, that does not mean that universal time does not exist. The speed of
light is a constant because different observers use different amount of
universal time to measure it as follows:
Light path length of ruler (299,792,458m)/the universal time content for s
clock second co-moving with the ruler.

Ken Seto

From: kenseto on

"Alex" <dralexgreen(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> A clock second is always seen by an observer who is also in the frame
> of the clock to be one second long.

But the observer who is in the frame of the clock will not know the duration
(universal time content) for his clock second.

>The difference occurs, as you say,
> from one frame to another.

That's because the observed clock is truly running at a different rate. In
other words, the duration (universal time content) for the other frame's
clock second is different than the observer's clock second. BTW, that's the
reason why all observers measure the same speed of light: They all use a
different amount of universal time to measure light speed as follows:
Light path length of ruler (299,792,458m)/the universal time (absolute time)
content for a clock second co-moving with the ruler).

Ken Seto