From: Benedikt Müller on
Hi
We all know: Ruby is not the fastest interpreted language out there. I
think, this isn't the goal, but I also think, Ruby is too slow.
I would suggest, that a time, say two monthes or three, only speed
patches and bugfixes are accepted. So the development could be
concentrated on speed.
I'd like to hear what over users out there and the developers say to this idea.

--
Greetings, Benedikt

From: Alexander Jesner on
On 02/22/2010 20:30, Benedikt Müller wrote:
> Ruby is not the fastest interpreted language out there.
If you have not already done so, switch to Ruby 1.9.

From: Benedikt Müller on
2010/2/22 Alexander Jesner <alexander(a)jesner-edv.at>:
> On 02/22/2010 20:30, Benedikt Müller wrote:
>> Ruby is not the fastest interpreted language out there.
> If you have not already done so, switch to Ruby 1.9.
Done, and I know that there are improvements. But it's not enough :)

--
Gruß, Benedikt

From: Tony Arcieri on
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Benedikt Müller <benemue(a)googlemail.com>wrote:

> Done, and I know that there are improvements. But it's not enough :)

Have you taken a look at some of the other Ruby implementations available,
such as JRuby, Rubinius, and MacRuby?

JRuby is able to leverage the performance features of the Java Virtual
Machine. Rubinius and MacRuby are both using LLVM to produce native code
from Ruby sources. Ruby 1.9, on the other hand, uses a stack machine
interpreter and does not compile to native code.

Depending on the specific nature of your performance problems, one of these
alternative implementations may be addressing your issues already.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

From: Randall Alexander on
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Benedikt Müller <benemue(a)googlemail.com>wrote:

> 2010/2/22 Alexander Jesner <alexander(a)jesner-edv.at>:
> > On 02/22/2010 20:30, Benedikt Müller wrote:
> >> Ruby is not the fastest interpreted language out there.
> > If you have not already done so, switch to Ruby 1.9.
> Done, and I know that there are improvements. But it's not enough :)
>
> --
> Gruß, Benedikt
>
> If you really want speed check out JRuby or MacRuby. From what I
understand they are usually a version behind regular Ruby but you have the
power of the JVM. I agree with speeding Ruby up to the credit of the core
team they did make an effort on the last release. I do think there are a
few other options. (Don't get me wrong I am not opposed to the speed sprints
I just wanted to present other options) As far as I know the Ruby runtime
is missing lookahead ability. If that is correct adding lookahead could
give the runtime a huge performance boost. Another alternative to asking
the Ruby core team to do these sprints we could profile, make changes, and
submit the commits (and test cases) ourselves. I have never worked on open
source project before, but I am speaking with someone about how to get
involved and be a productive active member. It takes more than I originally
thought.

--
Randy