From: shawn on
I'd be very interested in going SSD as my main drive, but the lifespan is
always what scares me. I want my data to be relatively safe. Being that the
technology is newer than a hard drive is what worries me since I have no
experience with it.

SMART attributes aren't always a good measure of a drive I'm told. Different
programs read differently. I'm monitoring my drives at work and they list
33% health left. I still had a Windows 98 machine running here up until a
few months ago with the original hard drive.

From: BillW50 on
In news:OJ$hTcYiKHA.2188(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
shawn typed on Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:34:14 -0500:
> I'd be very interested in going SSD as my main drive, but the
> lifespan is always what scares me. I want my data to be relatively
> safe. Being that the technology is newer than a hard drive is what
> worries me since I have no experience with it.

Hi Shawn! MTBF for SSD is 227 years. While hard drives MTBF is 37 years.

> SMART attributes aren't always a good measure of a drive I'm told.
> Different programs read differently. I'm monitoring my drives at work
> and they list 33% health left. I still had a Windows 98 machine
> running here up until a few months ago with the original hard drive.

Google research showed that SMART is unreliable. I take it as a small
gauge. But not something you should depend on 100%. As 40% of failures
are not detected by SMART.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2