From: Chrome Boy on
Hello Group.
Father Christmas bought my wife a Samsung netbook last Friday.
On Monday we switched it on and I removed Mcfee Security via its uninstaller
in the programs menu and I installed MSE.
I have had windows and Microsoft updates every day since.
There was 64 updates on Monday 18 on Tuesday 1 on Wednesday and 1 today.
The netbook after all that is XP Home with SP3 and IE/8 which was
preinstalled.
The netbook works fine.
Today I went to remove a Samsung program following the programs
instructions.
I went to the Control Panel.
I clicked on the add/remove programs.
The box " Please Wait Whilst The List Is Populated etc " came on and nothing
happens.
The List stays blank and after a minute or so the message " Not Responding "
appears.
I get " end or cancel " and that's it nothing else.
I've tried it a few times and restarted in between but the same thing
happens.
The list was populated on Monday when I had a look round the system after
first switching it on.
How can I get the list populated again ?
Thanks
John

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: Chrome Boy on
Thanks for the quick reply.
I followed the link you gave me and followed your instruction to a tee.
After I rebooted I still have the same fault with the add or remove box.
It doesn't populate and doesn't respond.
John

From: Anteaus on

Unfortunately this is by no means uncommon when there is 'crapware' on a new
computer.

In most jurisdictions, I would suggest you contact the vendor before going
any further. They described the computer as being 'With MS Windows' and
therefore it is their responsibility to provide you with a copy that works.
If removing McAfee (which you presumably did not agree to being on the
computer) breaks the OS then they should fix it so it works.

Other than that you'd probably have to manually edit the registry
uninstall-keys to remove the one that's causing the glitch. Not simple though.

From: who on
Download Revo Uninstaller.
It's one of the first software products that U install on new computers.