From: Tamiami on
Greetings,

Anyone know how to spoof 98 to appear as XP to software and web sites.
I remember something from like 2001, but alas, old age has over-ruled.

Thanks.
From: Howard on
You might want to try KernelEx which is now up to version 0.3.6.

It replaces the Windows 98 kernel file and fools some software that it is
Win XP. I can't say that it works with everything but it has allowed me to
install and run OpenOffice 3.0 successfully and, so far, hasn't caused any
obvious problems.

To check it out and get the free download, go to
http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/

If anyone else is using this fix, please can they say what software they
have managed to run?

From: Tamiami on
Howard wrote:
> You might want to try KernelEx which is now up to version 0.3.6.
>
> It replaces the Windows 98 kernel file and fools some software that it is
> Win XP. I can't say that it works with everything but it has allowed me to
> install and run OpenOffice 3.0 successfully and, so far, hasn't caused any
> obvious problems.
>
> To check it out and get the free download, go to
> http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/
>
> If anyone else is using this fix, please can they say what software they
> have managed to run?

Thanks Howard. Are you overclocked? If so, is it stable?
From: Howard on
"Tamiami" <nospam(a)nospam.moc> wrote in message

> Thanks Howard. Are you overclocked? If so, is it stable?

No overclocking. I'm running Win 98SE with an AMD Athlon processor (as AMD
intended).

I haven't experienced any stability problems with programs that were already
installed (under the original Win98). So far, the only new program I've
installed with the modified Win system is OpenOffice 3.0. Fingers crossed -
everything seems to be working okay.

I haven't checked but it might be worth checking with a Google search to see
if there are any postings on other Forums by happy (or unhappy!) KernelEx
users.

From: Tamiami on
Howard wrote:
> "Tamiami" <nospam(a)nospam.moc> wrote in message
>> Thanks Howard. Are you overclocked? If so, is it stable?
>
> No overclocking. I'm running Win 98SE with an AMD Athlon processor (as AMD
> intended).
>
> I haven't experienced any stability problems with programs that were already
> installed (under the original Win98). So far, the only new program I've
> installed with the modified Win system is OpenOffice 3.0. Fingers crossed -
> everything seems to be working okay.
>
> I haven't checked but it might be worth checking with a Google search to see
> if there are any postings on other Forums by happy (or unhappy!) KernelEx
> users.

Will do. Guess I have a project over the holiday for us in the United
States of Bailouts.

Thanks again.