From: Reinhard on
I start my Xl2007 application with an desktop icon.
The destination for the icon is the macro path e.g. c:\test\mymacro.xla.
It worked for a long time. But after an unplanned crash it's not possible to start the application via desktop icon.
When I try to start the program via icon I get the error message "can't find c:\program.xlsx". I've never created or heard about this file.
If I open the application inside Excel (start Excel first) it runs.
There is no change in the icon destination. I also tried to write the excel.exe path in front of the macro destination with no change.
I have no idea what's the difference to open the xla within excel or to open it via icon.
There is only Excel 2007 on the computer. OS is Vista.

TIA
Reinhard

From: Gord Dibben on
Have you tried adding double quotes?

"c:\test\mymacro.xla"

But why are you using a shortcut to open an Add-in?

Why not just start Excel and checkmark the Add-in so it is loaded
automatically when Excel starts up?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: Reinhard on
Icon destination is ok, because it already run.
The *.xla is a complete application with its own GUI (ribbon bar).
It's not the intention to start it with Excel, but as a independent application.

The question is, how it is possible that the start icon suddenly losts its functionality with a strange error message.
For sure the destination wasn't changed.

Any idea? TIA

From: Gord Dibben on
You've lost me with "It's not the intention to start it with Excel, but as a
independent application."

Gord

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 08:55:20 +0200, "Reinhard" <reinht(a)web.de> wrote:

>Icon destination is ok, because it already run.
>The *.xla is a complete application with its own GUI (ribbon bar).
>It's not the intention to start it with Excel, but as a independent application.
>
>The question is, how it is possible that the start icon suddenly losts its functionality with a strange error message.
>For sure the destination wasn't changed.
>
>Any idea? TIA
> Reinhard
>
>>Have you tried adding double quotes?
>>
>>"c:\test\mymacro.xla"
>>
>>But why are you using a shortcut to open an Add-in?
>>
>>Why not just start Excel and checkmark the Add-in so it is loaded
>>automatically when Excel starts up?
>>

>>Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>>
>>On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:27:35 +0200, "Reinhard" <reinht(a)web.de> wrote:
>>
>>>I start my Xl2007 application with an desktop icon.
>>>The destination for the icon is the macro path e.g. c:\test\mymacro.xla.
>>>It worked for a long time. But after an unplanned crash it's not possible to start the application via desktop icon.
>>>When I try to start the program via icon I get the error message "can't find c:\program.xlsx". I've never created or heard about this file.
>>>If I open the application inside Excel (start Excel first) it runs.
>>>There is no change in the icon destination. I also tried to write the excel.exe path in front of the macro destination with no change.
>>>I have no idea what's the difference to open the xla within excel or to open it via icon.
>>>There is only Excel 2007 on the computer. OS is Vista.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>> Reinhard

Pages: 1
Prev: PivotTable count unique