From: tim1948 on
I am running FBSD 8.0 on a computer intended as a server, and would
like to dispense with the use of a monitor on that computer. I am able
to connect to it using Tightvnc on another computer on the LAN that
does have a monitor, so this seems like a feasible possibility.
However, it would be desirable for vncserver to start on boot on the
headless machine, which it presently does not.

This is apparently not a service that can be started with rc.d. Once
logged in, however, it is only necessary to type "vncserver" to make a
remote desktop available. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this,
on a system where the application already works but not at boot, I
would appreciate it.
From: Ted Nolan <tednolan> on
In article <0fec5516-ed6d-4219-8185-6cc76978cf02(a)t9g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am running FBSD 8.0 on a computer intended as a server, and would
>like to dispense with the use of a monitor on that computer. I am able
>to connect to it using Tightvnc on another computer on the LAN that
>does have a monitor, so this seems like a feasible possibility.
>However, it would be desirable for vncserver to start on boot on the
>headless machine, which it presently does not.
>
>This is apparently not a service that can be started with rc.d. Once
>logged in, however, it is only necessary to type "vncserver" to make a
>remote desktop available. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this,
>on a system where the application already works but not at boot, I
>would appreciate it.

Have you considered just sshing in and running your apps over X11?
Or sshing in and starting vncserver?

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
From: Indi on
On 2010-03-24, tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am running FBSD 8.0 on a computer intended as a server, and would
> like to dispense with the use of a monitor on that computer. I am able
> to connect to it using Tightvnc on another computer on the LAN that
> does have a monitor, so this seems like a feasible possibility.
> However, it would be desirable for vncserver to start on boot on the
> headless machine, which it presently does not.
>
> This is apparently not a service that can be started with rc.d. Once
> logged in, however, it is only necessary to type "vncserver" to make a
> remote desktop available. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this,
> on a system where the application already works but not at boot, I
> would appreciate it.

You can write an rc.d script for that and then enable it in rc.conf.
ISTR finding examples for just that on google not so long ago.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi
From: tim1948 on
On Mar 23, 11:32 pm, Indi <i...(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu>
wrote:
> On 2010-03-24, tim1948 <iconoklas...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I am running FBSD 8.0 on a computer intended as a server, and would
> > like to dispense with the use of a monitor on that computer. I am able
> > to connect to it using Tightvnc on another computer on the LAN that
> > does have a monitor, so this seems like a feasible possibility.
> > However, it would be desirable for vncserver to start on boot on the
> > headless machine, which it presently does not.
>
> > This is apparently not a service that can be started with rc.d. Once
> > logged in, however, it is only necessary to type "vncserver" to make a
> > remote desktop available. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this,
> > on a system where the application already works but not at boot, I
> > would appreciate it.
>
> You can write an rc.d script for that and then enable it in rc.conf.
> ISTR finding examples for just that on google not so long ago.
>
> --
> Caveat utilitor,
> indi

I came across the following since my previous post. I'm not proficient
enough with scripts to
determine whether it is completely free of errors, but I hope so. I'm
pretty sure "dante" is a
user's name and has to be changed unless there is such a user on your
system:

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script starts/stops vncserver
#

.. /etc/rc.subr
name=”vnc”
vncserver_display=”:1?
vncserver_options=”-geometry 1280×768 -compatiblekbd -fp ‘/usr/X11R6/
lib/X11/fon\
ts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/
100dpi/’”

rcvar=`set_rcvar`
start_cmd=”${name}_start”
stop_cmd=”${name}_stop”

load_rc_config $name
eval “${rcvar}=\${${rcvar}:-’NO’}”
vnc_msg=${vnc_msg:-”Starting vncserver…”}

vnc_start()
{
echo “$vnc_msg”
PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH
su dante -c “/usr/X11R6/bin/vncserver ${vncserver_display} $
{vncserver_options}\
”
}
vnc_stop()
{
echo -n $”Shutting down VNC server: ”
su dante -c “vncserver -kill :1? >/dev/null 2>&1
}

run_rc_command “$1?
From: Indi on
On 2010-03-24, tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I came across the following since my previous post. I'm not proficient
> enough with scripts to
> determine whether it is completely free of errors, but I hope so. I'm
> pretty sure "dante" is a
> user's name and has to be changed unless there is such a user on your
> system:

Yes, you're right about the username.
Also, I stumbled upon this thread about using an xdm startup script:
Might do the trick.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi