From: Charles W Davis on
Win XP with only SP2 installed. I can't keep it up long enough to determine
any additional particulars. Normal or Safe mode.

Any thoughts?

From: Sprechen sie von C++ on
Upgrade to SP3, if that does not work, time for a fresh install and make
sure you install all updates. On my site, I have a link to the free
Microsoft Security Essentials that you should also use to protect against
malware.

From: Bob on
Consider a faulty power supply.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Given no other information or details...

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see:

Risks & Benefits of P2P file sharing
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/data/downloadfileshare/filesharing.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/06/the-cost-of-free-software.aspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx

From: Michael on
Take a remedial reading 101!!!

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"Sprechen sie von C++" <abuse(a)abuse.net> wrote in message
> Upgrade to SP3, if that does not work, time for a fresh install and make
> sure you install all updates. On my site, I have a link to the free
> Microsoft Security Essentials that you should also use to protect against
> malware.
>
> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup(a)anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>> Win XP with only SP2 installed. I can't keep it up long enough to
>> determine any additional particulars. Normal or Safe mode.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Tetris
Next: Is IE7 and IE8 more stable than IE6?