From: Paul Fuchs on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <1jmm547.1kngnbd1gs808wN%nospam(a)see.signature>,
> nospam(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) wrote:
>
> > (I might suggest that there's a user interface flaw here in having an
> > iTunes menu item do a system-level check for updates that have nothing
> > to do with iTunes, but I realize that in any case I'm at least partly to
> > blame; I could have checked.)
>
> iTunes checks to see whether there's an iTunes update available. If there
> is, and you say you want to update, it hands things over to the Software
> Update program, which checks for all updates.

I don't think that the iTunes 9.2.1 update bumped 10.6.3 to 10.6.4.
That would be rather duplicitous on Apple's part. Ate you sure. I did
find it rather curious that such a minor update demanded a reboot upon
instillation. As I recall, it wasn't optional.
--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
becomes a revolutionary act.
From: Richard Maine on
Paul Fuchs <pf(a)porkain'tkosher.oink> wrote:

> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <1jmm547.1kngnbd1gs808wN%nospam(a)see.signature>,
> > nospam(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) wrote:
> >
> > > (I might suggest that there's a user interface flaw here in having an
> > > iTunes menu item do a system-level check for updates that have nothing
> > > to do with iTunes, but I realize that in any case I'm at least partly to
> > > blame; I could have checked.)
> >
> > iTunes checks to see whether there's an iTunes update available. If there
> > is, and you say you want to update, it hands things over to the Software
> > Update program, which checks for all updates.
>
> I don't think that the iTunes 9.2.1 update bumped 10.6.3 to 10.6.4.
> That would be rather duplicitous on Apple's part. Ate you sure. I did
> find it rather curious that such a minor update demanded a reboot upon
> instillation. As I recall, it wasn't optional.

Yes, I'm sure. But it wasn't the iTunes update itself. It was clearly,
as Michelle describes, that iTunes handed things over to software
update. I understand what happened, I just think it a flaw in the user
interface that when you ask iTunes to check for updates and then say,
"yes, do it", to what results, you end up updating the whole system.

No, I don't think it duplicituous. People are far too quick to jump on
accusations of duplicity. Recall the addage "Never ascribe to malice
that which can be explained by incompetence." I'd say that
"incompetence" greatly overstates the case here, but it is at least in
the right direction in the sense of being a flaw. I just think it a user
interface flaw.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Phillip Jones on
Richard Maine wrote:
> Paul Fuchs<pf(a)porkain'tkosher.oink> wrote:
>
>> Michelle Steiner<michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

>>> iTunes checks to see whether there's an iTunes update available. If there
>>> is, and you say you want to update, it hands things over to the Software
>>> Update program, which checks for all updates.
>>
>> I don't think that the iTunes 9.2.1 update bumped 10.6.3 to 10.6.4.
>> That would be rather duplicitous on Apple's part. Ate you sure. I did
>> find it rather curious that such a minor update demanded a reboot upon
>> instillation. As I recall, it wasn't optional.
>
> Yes, I'm sure. But it wasn't the iTunes update itself. It was clearly,
> as Michelle describes, that iTunes handed things over to software
> update. I understand what happened, I just think it a flaw in the user
> interface that when you ask iTunes to check for updates and then say,
> "yes, do it", to what results, you end up updating the whole system.
>
> No, I don't think it duplicituous. People are far too quick to jump on
> accusations of duplicity. Recall the addage "Never ascribe to malice
> that which can be explained by incompetence." I'd say that
> "incompetence" greatly overstates the case here, but it is at least in
> the right direction in the sense of being a flaw. I just think it a user
> interface flaw.

I'm still using a PowerPC and X.4.11 and every time Safari, or iTunes is
updated requires a Restart.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1(a)kimbanet.com
From: Thomas R. Kettler on
In article <i3aek4$eln$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Phillip Jones <pjones1(a)kimbanet.com> wrote:

> Richard Maine wrote:
> > Paul Fuchs<pf(a)porkain'tkosher.oink> wrote:

> >> I don't think that the iTunes 9.2.1 update bumped 10.6.3 to 10.6.4.
> >> That would be rather duplicitous on Apple's part. Ate you sure. I did
> >> find it rather curious that such a minor update demanded a reboot upon
> >> instillation. As I recall, it wasn't optional.
> >
> > Yes, I'm sure. But it wasn't the iTunes update itself. It was clearly,
> > as Michelle describes, that iTunes handed things over to software
> > update. I understand what happened, I just think it a flaw in the user
> > interface that when you ask iTunes to check for updates and then say,
> > "yes, do it", to what results, you end up updating the whole system.
> >
> > No, I don't think it duplicituous. People are far too quick to jump on
> > accusations of duplicity. Recall the addage "Never ascribe to malice
> > that which can be explained by incompetence." I'd say that
> > "incompetence" greatly overstates the case here, but it is at least in
> > the right direction in the sense of being a flaw. I just think it a user
> > interface flaw.
> >
> I'm still using a PowerPC and X.4.11 and every time Safari, or iTunes is
> updated requires a Restart.

Isn't that due to changes in the WebKit on your System? I know that
Safari requires a Restart for that reason, but I'm not so certain about
iTunes.
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.
From: David Empson on
Thomas R. Kettler <tkettler(a)blownfuse.net> wrote:

> In article <i3aek4$eln$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Phillip Jones <pjones1(a)kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm still using a PowerPC and X.4.11 and every time Safari, or iTunes is
> > updated requires a Restart.
>
> Isn't that due to changes in the WebKit on your System? I know that
> Safari requires a Restart for that reason, but I'm not so certain about
> iTunes.

Installing iTunes occasionally triggers a restart due to needing to
update a kernel driver for certain devices (I recall seeing an "iTunes
Phone Driver" or something similar).

I haven't installed iTunes on Tiger recently, but I don't recall it
needing any restarts when installed on Leopard or Snow Leopard.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz