From: Stubby on
I inherited stock in 1983. Mostly, I have let the the dividends
reinvest for all this time. However I didn't start using Quicken
until the late 1980s. Now I want to determine the basis price for the
stock(s) in a way that will stand up to an IRS audit if necessary.
The data available on the current transfer agent's web site doesn't go
back this far. Can anyone tell me how to do this? TIA.
From: Arnie Goetchius on
Stubby wrote:
> I inherited stock in 1983. Mostly, I have let the the dividends
> reinvest for all this time. However I didn't start using Quicken
> until the late 1980s. Now I want to determine the basis price for the
> stock(s) in a way that will stand up to an IRS audit if necessary.
> The data available on the current transfer agent's web site doesn't go
> back this far. Can anyone tell me how to do this? TIA.
Try this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=GE

and substitute your stock symbol for "GE"
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Bill.

Start at the beginning: The date of death of the decedent from whom you
inherited the stock.

That MIGHT be 1983 when you inherited the stock - or not. Assets "acquired
from a decedent" are valued at date of death (with a few exceptions, which I
will ignore for now but are very significant when they apply). The stock
acquires a new basis ("basis for determining gain or loss, or for
depreciation") equal to the Fair Market Value (FMV) on the Date of Death
(DOD). This new basis becomes the "uniform basis" that persists through any
changes of ownership until it actually reaches the heir. So, if it takes
months or years to settle the estate, and then the stock goes into a trust
for years (until death of the surviving spouse, for example), and finally to
the heirs, the stock keeps its same basis through all those transitions.

So, if your decedent died in 1970 but you didn't get the shares until 1983,
you still will need to know the 1970 value and the history since then. The
executor (and trustee?) should be able to furnish this information. Was a
Form 706, Estate Tax Return, filed for the estate; if so, that provides the
starting point because it would have listed the stock at its DOD value.

Then, I'm sorry to say, the tedious work begins. Since the dividends were
reinvested, you will need to know the date each dividend was paid, the
amount of the dividend, and the number of full and/or partial shares
acquired with each separate dividend. Each lot of shares will have its own
basis and its own acquisition date. Just as with shares purchased with
cash, the price per share is almost irrelevant; the number of shares and the
total cost of each lot are what matter. The list at the URL Arnie supplied
can be a big help in calculating the basis if you don't have records, but
your actual dividends and reinvestments are what actually govern. Again, if
the DOD was in 1970, that's when the historical record must begin, not
necessarily on the later date when you actually received the shares.

When the stock is sold, in whole or in part, each lot must be reported
separately. List them, line by line, and divide the short-term from
long-term gains and losses on Schedule D of your own Form 1040. The
inherited shares are clearly long-term, but if shares bought with a recent
dividend are included, some of those will probably be classified as short
term. You can, if you like, group them all into a couple of lines (LT and
ST), but be sure to have the backup detailed listing in case the auditor
asks for it.

If any shares were sold in prior years, you must identify WHICH shares were
sold, or use the FIFO method, starting with the shares held by the decedent
at DOD. If they were identified and reported incorrectly, you might need to
file amended returns for any "open" years.

There is a break for inherited assets sold after the death that lets gain
from them be treated as long-term even if they are sold within a few days,
but for a death in 1983 (or before), that period is long expired; the DOD
governs even if you didn't get the shares from the executor or trustee until
recently.

Shares received by reinvesting dividends since DOD, whether by you or by an
intervening executor or trustee: Cost of shares purchased with each
separate dividend, holding periods start on each dividend date.

Remember that I've been retired for nearly 20 years and these rules change
often. The rules may not be as I remember them. Be sure to discuss this
with your own CPA - and the executor's CPA if necessary - before filing your
return, Bill.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Stubby on
On Dec 16, 8:48 am, Arnie Goetchius <arnie.goetch...(a)invalid.domain>
wrote:
> Stubby wrote:
> > I inherited stock in 1983.  Mostly, I have let the the dividends
> > reinvest for all this time.  However I didn't start  using Quicken
> > until the late 1980s.  Now I want to determine the basis price for the
> > stock(s) in a way that will stand up  to an IRS audit if necessary.
> > The data available on the current transfer agent's web site doesn't go
> > back this far.   Can anyone tell me how to do this?   TIA.
>
> Try this:
>
> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=GE
>
> and substitute your stock symbol for "GE"

Thanks, Arnie. Unfortunately the data it provides doesn't go back to
1983. Try it on "FE" and you'll see. But that site will come in
handy for getting the history of stock straightened out. Now if
Quicken could only provide a table of price vs time.
From: Stubby on
On Dec 16, 12:22 pm, "R. C. White" <r...(a)grandecom.net> wrote:
> [...]
> return, Bill.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (Retired.  No longer licensed to practice public accounting.)
> r...(a)grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Using Quicken Deluxe 2010 and Windows Live Mail in Win7 x64)
>
> "Stubby" <William.Plum...(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

> > I inherited stock in 1983.  Mostly, I have let the the dividends
> > reinvest for all this time.  However I didn't start  using Quicken
> > until the late 1980s.  Now I want to determine the basis price for the
> > stock(s) in a way that will stand up  to an IRS audit if necessary.
> > The data available on the current transfer agent's web site doesn't go
> > back this far.   Can anyone tell me how to do this?   TIA.- Hide quoted text -

RC comes through again! You confirmed that I'm going to have to put
some elbow grease into it.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Home Depot Credit Credit Card?