From: Dan on
I'm the server administrator for a small business and I have one app pool
that is very problematic. There is one web site in the app pool that
receives some pretty heavy usage (40-50k visitors a day). However, the
server has specs that I'm sure should be able to handle it, and was handling
it well until a couple of months ago. Ever since then, we've had nothing but
problems. The app pool hangs frequently - typically around every 20 minutes
or so, if that.

As an initial attempt, I changed some settings in the app pool and in the
metabase file, but nothing seems to work quite well enough. I tried adding
an extra worker to the web garden, increasing thread request limits, etc. all
without success. My initial instinct was that the problem is ASP code
related, so I've spent quite a few days optimizing and fine tuning code
everywhere.

As a temporary "fix", I've enabled a frequent 5 minute worker recycle on the
app pool. This helps a lot, but does not FIX the problem.

To diagnose the problem, I've looked in the event viewer and I've run
DebugDiag numerous times.

Some common errors/warnings I get in the event viewer are:
- A process serving application pool 'PSX Extreme' exceeded time limits
during shut down. The process id was '3892'. (I'm pretty sure this means
something went wrong with a recycle?)
- Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.1830, faulting module
unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x05c07dc8.

The following are typical errors I get in DebugDiag:
- The following threads in w3wp.exe__PSX
Extreme__PID__3892__Date__06_28_2008__Time_10_44_12PM__609__IIS_COM+ Hang
Dump.dmp are displaying a message box. The call to display the message box
originated from user32!NtUserWaitMessage+c.
The text of the message being displayed is:
( 11 )
1.47% of threads blocked
- A COM+ STA Activity Pileup has been detected in w3wp.exe__PSX
Extreme__PID__5600__Date__06_28_2008__Time_10_44_17PM__609__IIS_COM+ Hang
Dump.dmp. There is at least one activity bound to every COM+ STA ThreadPool
thread, with the following threads having more than one activity bound:
20 21 22 23 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 44 45 46 47 48
49 50
See the COM+ STA ThreadPool Report for more detail.

Related Information:
-IIS6
-ASP
-MS SQL Server
-2 processors
-4gb RAM

I've already done TONS of reading on issues related to this matter. I've
search Google for related information to all of my errors and warnings, how
to analyze an IIS hang, read lots of articles by David Wang, but everything I
try, I just can't seem to get it to work.

If anyone has ANY words of wisdom or can interpret the latest DebugDiag
report on my app pool hang, I would forever be in your debt. Thanks for
taking the time to read this.

http://www.xoise.com/CrashHangReport.mht
From: Ken Schaefer on
What is vfbasics? Is that some custom .dll? I'd suggest that perhaps you
have deadlocked threads or something.

Also, you appear to have a lot of files named .inc. Is that extension mapped
to ASP (or similar)? Otherwise anyone can just type in
http://yoursite/yourIncfile.inc and get the contents of the inc file.

Cheers
Ken

From: Daniel Crichton on
Ken wrote on Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:03:09 +1000:

> Also, you appear to have a lot of files named .inc. Is that extension
> mapped to ASP (or similar)? Otherwise anyone can just type in http://yoursite/yourIncfile.inc
> and get the contents of the inc file.

Not in IIS6 is doesn't - there isn't a default MIME mapping for .inc so IIS6
will return a 404 when requesting that extension unless you manually add it
as an allowed extension.

--
Dan

From: Dan on
Thanks for your reply.

I don't know what vfbasics is actually. I noticed that a lot in the log as
well. I guess I need to try and figure that out. Are there any other things
you figure I need to look for?

But yeah, we use the .inc files as ASP includes in our CMS. They're
unaccessible frm the internet.

From: Dan on
Actually, just did some research and found this:

vfbasics.dll is a Microsoft DLL with the description: "Application Verifier
Provider"