From: kleefarr on
Have read a few discussions on the repair of this error, but all seem to
mention that the fixes are generally for NON OEM XP machines.

This XP laptop does not have it's own XP CD, but the owner did make a set of
recovery dvds about 3 years ago.

I asked the owner if there was anything on the laptop that he wanted saving
and he was only worried about programs in general.

If I do a recovery with the supplied recovery DVDs, will it over write or
delete any of his programs?

TIA

From: John John - MVP on
kleefarr wrote:

> So there's no fix for this apart form using the recovery dvds? 8(
> Hope he has all the serials written down.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting

John
From: kleefarr on

"John John - MVP" wrote:

> kleefarr wrote:
>
> > So there's no fix for this apart form using the recovery dvds? 8(
> > Hope he has all the serials written down.
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
> How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
> starting
>
> John
> .

Thanks for the reply John, but that looks like it is only for non OEM
systems..

"Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your
computer has an OEM-installed operating system."
From: John John - MVP on
kleefarr wrote:

> "John John - MVP" wrote:
>
>> kleefarr wrote:
>>
>>> So there's no fix for this apart form using the recovery dvds? 8(
>>> Hope he has all the serials written down.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
>> How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
>> starting
>>
>> John
>> .
>>

> Thanks for the reply John, but that looks like it is only for non OEM
> systems..
>
> "Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your
> computer has an OEM-installed operating system."

It doesn't necessarily apply to all OEMs and at the point where you are
where chkdsk can't fix the problem there is little to lose as your next
step will have to be a reinstallation or a factory restore of the
operating system. You can also use a Bart PE disk to boot the computer
and move the registry files as shown in the article while booted with
the PE disk.

In any case, you said in other posts that the disk diagnostic utility
reports disk problems so the drive is most likely kaput... time to
replace it.

John
From: kleefarr on
Final update on this..

Everything tried was unsuccessful, apart from a full reinstall. I assume
that the HDD was scanned and the bad sector mark as nonwritable.
Gave the Laptop back to the guy , but warned him that he may not get too
long out of it, as the bad sector could be an indication of a failing HDD.

Thanks to all for your input.