From: LithiumKid1976 on
hi
Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being installed via
the windows update service??

we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if users go
to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to install it.

any suggestions on how we can stop it?
Thanks
Damien
From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"LithiumKid1976" <Damien.j.brennan(a)gmail.com> schrieb:

> Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being installed via
> the windows update service??

No, but it's possible to hide the Browser Choice window:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019411/en-us

> we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if users go
> to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to install it.

Hm, your users are allowed to use Windows Update while sitting behind WSUS?
Why?

Bye,
Freudi
From: Shenan Stanley on
LithiumKid1976 wrote:
> Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being
> installed via the windows update service??
>
> we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if
> users go to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to
> install it.
>
> any suggestions on how we can stop it?

Sounds like you give your users too much power - they are not users, but
adminsitrators it seems. If you have given them essentially all rights on
the computers you have, you have defeated yourself on this one. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: LithiumKid1976 on
thanks for the info guys, what your saying makes sense all right ,alowing the
users to overrule the wsus is a waste of time! the head of IT is holding off
on blocking the windows update site until the wsus server is fully up to
date, ....not my decision :) ...

i got landed with figuring out the wsus server...long after updates have
been approved and failed... :(

thanks again..

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Post here instead: